So, I got some more tobacco today.

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Skrymr, Jul 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skrymr

Skrymr Member

I started out with some Half and Half, and after a few bowls I couldn't stand it any more. Then, I ordered some things online. Some Lane Q1, and McClelland VBC. Both of which I like, but they are kind of one dimensional to me. Plus two tins. One was Two Friends English Chocolate, and Frog Morton On the Town. The Frog Morton I liked form the start, and it gets better with every bowl. The Two Friends English Chocolate is quickly growing on me, but SWMBO doesn't really like the room note. I also need to be careful packing it, as it is easy to pack in too tight.

Today I went to a tobacconist about 45 minute's away. They had a good variety(about 20) of McClelland tins and 4 choice's of Dunhill. About twice the price of online shops, but this is Wisconsin, so I was expecting that. I walked out with Frog Morton On The Bayou, and Dunhill Nightcap. I plan on putting the tin's away until I finish what I have opened. Should I transfer them to mason jars? Or can I leave them in the tin's until I open them?

I plan on visiting Uhle's when the time permit's next. I wasn't very pleased with the shop I went to today. I really don't like walking into a store and feeling like I am interrupting thing's by wanting to purchase from them.

Professor likes this.
  2. Capt

Capt Active Member

Leave them in the tins. No reason to crack the seal until you are prepared to smoke them. Great choice BTW.

IrishRover likes this.
  3. Skrymr

Skrymr Member

Thanks, the Frog Morton was one on my list, but the Nightcap was pretty much a blind purchase. Not sure what to expect from that one.

4. Capt

Capt Active Member

It is a very stout, potent English blend. Your significant other hates English Chocolate? Don't even open the tin of Nightcap in the house. lol

Rodfather and RTOdhner like this.
  5. Skrymr

Skrymr Member

She doesn't really hate it, she just made a comment on it. I offered to go outside to smoke it and she said it wasn't really necessary. She does smoke cigarette's so she is pretty tolerant of my pipe tobacco.

Thank you Capt.

RTOdhner likes this.
  6. beans316

beans316 Member

Great choices , I love all the frog morton blends there all top notch in my book :thu:

Skrymr likes this.
  7. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

+1. The Latakia content in Nightcap absolutely horrifies my wife, thus it's one of the few blends that she has specifically banned from the house. Considering how easygoing she is about most of the blends I smoke, I don't really have too much to complain about and I'll respect her on this one. However, left to my own devices I'd be smoking it 'cuz I like it.

Skrymr likes this.
  8. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

I'm pretty much in the same boat. I understand that pipe smoking is all about personal satisfaction, but there are some things that's always best to respect - like the wife's opinion on a blend. If she absolutely detests the room note, then the wise man will just opt not to smoke that particular blend. Besides, I'm pretty sure my wife coined the phrase "Paybacks are a bitch" and I shudder to think what form of wrath she would release upon me if I pushed the issue.

Skrymr, Darkly and Rodfather like this.
  9. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

The Nightcap is wonderful stuff if you are a lat lover, wonderful stuff.

Skrymr likes this.
  10. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

Lucky you.. mine smoked at the time and she still kicked me out of the living room ... although it wasn't all that bad, I did get some peace and quiet time

Skrymr likes this.
  11. Skrymr

Skrymr Member

Thanks everyone!

Look's like Nightcap will be my after work smoke out on the back patio with the dog after work. I get done at 2 am, so that should be a good time for it.

I'm not sure if I'm a lat lover or not yet, but it seems I'm leaning in that direction.

12. Capt

Capt Active Member

The biggest piece of advice that I could give you is work your way up through the heavier lats. To some, like scotch, it is an aquired taste. I didn't smoke lat blends for the first 6 years of my smoking career, I just couldn't get over that they smelled as if they had already been smoked.

If you do not enjoy the heavier lats this time of year, try again when it's cooler outside.

Skrymr likes this.
  13. Skrymr

Skrymr Member

At first all I got was the smell of straw and burning straw. Once I slowed down I got a nice smoky flavor that reminds me of my favorite scotch snuff's. Fall is my favorite time of year for them.

Thanks for the advice, I will stick with my Frog Morton OTT, and Two Friends EC until they are gone. Then I'll crack open the two new ones. I'll use them as an incentive to slow down my pipe smoking and learn proper techinque. :puffy:

Capt likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.