1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

So i was having a smoke yesterday.....

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by craig, Dec 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. craig

craig Active Member

hey guys hope your well.

So yesterday i was sat on my crate outside enjoying a bowl of condor when my door neighbour was getting some home improvements done.
    The builders came round and i was happily smoking away and that feeling you get when your being watched, so i turned in that direction and there was the builder just stood there dumbstruck.

when i clocked him he couldnt look away fast enough, but i could feel him giving me glances as he was doing my work.
    Although he never said anything i did feel slightly uncomfortable as to me i was just going about my daily business and the way he was looking it was though i was smoking a crack pipe or something.

Any of yous had this happen.

2. JBWright

JBWright Member

I tend to catch plenty of looks as well. One with connotations of "I cannot believe that guy is using drugs right out in the open". What is very nice though is when an older fella recognizes right away whats going on and comes over to ask what blend you're puffing on.

IrishRover likes this.
  3. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

I've heard of that happening to some of us pipe smokers. I haven't had it yet, although I have had some people say something similar to , "Wow that's smells like Grandpas smoking, I miss that smell"
    There was one lady glaring at me once when I was in my car..it was funny to me. I just smiled a cheesy grin

Mount Mandolin and JBWright like this.
  4. craig

craig Active Member

yeah i saluted the guys with my pipe and went good morning in a cheery tone, my neighbours either side of me know i smoke a pipe so when they see me smoking they just act as normal, but theres a woman a couple of doors up who just glares at me as though im the friendly neighbourhood crackhead and one day i wasnt in the best of moods so instead of the pipe salute she got a winston churchill style v sign but let me assure you it didnt mean victory

5. MeerSteve

MeerSteve Member

I occasionally get some funny looks or comments when I'm out smoking also. Recently, when I went to walk to my mailbox, a neighbor saw me smoking my bekler stack meer, and called me "mister gadget". lol. I know that cartoon character was a robot, but I don't think he ever smoked a pipe? Made me laugh a the seeming non-fitting comment.

6. craig

craig Active Member

See comments as long as it is meant in good humour dont bother me ill even join in with the banter what really riles me is when people just stare as though ive dropped down from mars lol i would much rather people ask me questions than just gawp at me lol

Rant over....sorry steve lol

7. Smokey Tom

Smokey Tom Active Member

I've never gotten any negative comments or looks (that I'm aware of) while smoking in public. A couple guys at worked commented that they don't see many people smoking a pipe anymore, and a couple others asked me what blend I was smoking, because their fathers (or grandfathers) smoked.

Small children seem to be very curious about pipes. I took mine out to clean it between quarters at my sons soccer game and a couple of the younger kids watched and asked questions. I tried to educate them as best I could.

8. Raffxr7

Raffxr7 Active Member

Recently I was told I better have drugs in my pipe because I was too young to be smoking one...... what the heck?

craig and Smokey Tom like this.
  9. Imrandy

Imrandy Member

I always stand up while looking them in the eye and check my zipper. They usually look away. On a side note Gadget did have a bubble blowing pipe in a few episodes when his gadgets went haywire.

10. GlassEye

GlassEye Member

I have heard similar, I was sitting on a bench once, and a pothead sat down down next to me and said something like "ooh, I love marijuana" and held out his hand as though I was expected to pass my pipe to him. I said that I would not share

11. Smokey Tom

Smokey Tom Active Member

I guess he expected a pipe smoker to be :old: or :wch:.

Raffxr7 likes this.
  12. Raffxr7

Raffxr7 Active Member

I also guess that he doesnt realize the older fellows who smoke a pipe started when they were younger...

13. TheKiltedOne

TheKiltedOne Sales Account

I once got asked in all seriousness if my Falcon was a crack pipe, The boy seemed slightly disappointed when I said no. Also had people ask if I'm really smoking a pipe, My usual answer is "No I'm just a figment of your imagination!" always gives me a chuckle at least. :laff:

Raffxr7 likes this.
  14. BigJ

BigJ Active Member

I got looks when I was walking through the park pushing my daughter in a stroller. Not sure if it was because people thought I was smoking something else, or because I had the nerve to smoke while so close to my kid.

15. Mount Mandolin

Mount Mandolin Active Member

Maybe it's because the majority of my life has been spent in Alabama and in the Appalachian Mountains of North Carolina, but I've never gotten a funny look or comment for smoking a pipe. Most people don't seem to notice, and the few who are usually older folks who seem pleased that people are still doing it, or younger folks who are surprised/amazed that people are still doing it. Never anything negative, though.

16. EmperorGix

EmperorGix Member

Maybe the guy was just so surprised that someone was actually smoking a pipe! Only Frosty the Snowman, Santa Claus, and Popeye do that. Didn't you get the memo? :ohyh:

17. 1858remington

1858remington Active Member

I was smoking a Falcon outside of a bar called Mojo 13 in north Wilmington DE, and drew quite a croud.
    Seems most people believe that nobody smokes pipes any more.
    They were very curious about the Falcon, and deemed it Very Cool.:hbang:
    I even had the lead singer of "Left in the Attic" complement me on my pipe, seems she digs guys who smoke em.:thu2:
    Wish I had brought my extra PAD pipes along, probably could have sold em.

18. irish2fish

irish2fish Active Member

I have only had one bad encounter, where someone told me that they called the cops on me. I stuck around but the cops never showed. The guy ended up apologizing once I explained it was a tobacco pipe, and someone else vouched for me. He said he had never seen anyone my age with a pipe and assumed it was drugs. Most people don't seem to notice or care.

19. craig

craig Active Member

Yeah thats the thing i encounter most when i tell pwople i smoke a pipe they instantly assume its for pot crack or meth too that i just say look at me im 18 stone arent i a little to fat to be a pot crack or meth head.

20. Smokey Tom

Smokey Tom Active Member

Nah, tell them "I'm not smoking a pipe, I'm smoking tobacco! IN my pipe. I smoke FROM a pipe." Or there's the old "No, I only smoke when I'm on fire."

TheKiltedOne and craig like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.