So I'm smoking some PS LBF...

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by BriarRabbit, Mar 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BriarRabbit

BriarRabbit Member

and about midway through the bowl, I start getting some Chinese Black Tea notes(??). Not just in passing... like most of the rest of the smoke. It wasn't overpowering at all. It was an underlying profile that I was not expecting in my admittedly limited experience with the wonderful stuff.

ShawnP likes this.
  2. BriarRabbit

BriarRabbit Member

Has anybody else experienced an unexpected profile with PSLBF?

3. WyoBob

WyoBob Member

Well, living in small town Wyoming, I have no idea what Chinese Black Tea notes are. Probably not something I can play on my banjo:)

I didn't care for LBF when I tried it 2-3 years ago. I did like LNF and LTF and LNF is my mainstay. I recently bought a small amount of LBF and liked it and will buy some more. I'm not astute enough to pick out flavors or being able to describe them (being limited in worldly experiences) so just go with what I like and don't like.

BriarRabbit and psquared like this.
  4. BriarRabbit

BriarRabbit Member

It's a tea that I drank a lot of when I did some "work" in China/Hong Kong while in the Navy. Stuff we get in the States is crap. Anyway, it was barely there, but there. I found it interesting. I can't tast too much either, but that's probably b/c I don't have any cake built up on any of my pipes yet as I'm a newbie.

5. KarlMaldenNose

KarlMaldenNose Member

I haven't tried it but have been wondering about it and other Stokkebye bulk blends for beefing up my cellar as I understand they are reasonably priced. How close is the LBF to Escudo (my fave VaPer)? Does the cavendish make itself known? I mostly like a deep, full smoke with a goodly amount of nic and little if any sweetness.

6. BriarRabbit

BriarRabbit Member

LBF would probably be too sweet for you as the "bullseye" is the cav; however, LNF is probably the closest to Escudo. Personally, I don't think LBF is too sweet, but know others that do. I like Va's and Va/Per's best myself. I also like Va/Per/Oriental/Lat blends too (like Presbyterian Mixture and Westminster). It's not heavy on the lat. Ani Kake is probably my favorite right now.

KarlMaldenNose likes this.
  7. buistd

buistd Sales Account

Both contain fermented leaves. Maybe the similarity you've noticed is something to do with a common flavour contribution from the fermentation process. Just a thought. You'd be amazed at some of the flavours you notice when you really give a blend your full attention. When I took my turn in the Blind Review thread, all sorts of strange flavours popped up - first one that springs to mind is salted potato chips.

I'm not sure how much you know about how the human taste/smell system identifies flavours/smells, but I can try to explain. Basically, your tongue and olfactory bulb (in the nose) contain thousands of receptors. Smell and taste molecules bind to these receptors and send a signal to your brain. Your brain 'analyzes' the pattern of signals it receives and converts it into a taste/smell. You can think of it like a QR code that you can scan with modern phones. If the taste of the tea and the taste of the LBF produce similar patterns (or QR codes if you use that analogy) via the receptors , your brain identifies them as similar, and whilst they may not be identical, if the patterns are close enough your brain will link the two, and tell you it's the same thing.

And there you have it ladies and gentlemen, proof that studying neuroscience is useful.

ShawnP, Raffxr7 and BriarRabbit like this.
  8. BriarRabbit

BriarRabbit Member

I think its also true the we remember smells better than anything else.

9. Raffxr7

Raffxr7 Active Member

I use LBF as a stand in for escudo. Escudo is sweeter according to me, but both are great.

10. buistd

buistd Sales Account

There's reasons for that too, but I won't get into that here. I can if you want, but you don't.

BriarRabbit likes this.
  11. Atom

Atom Member

The entire Luxury Series (LBF/LNF/LTF) continue to get better with age, and hold up very well in the cellar.
    While I haven't found the "unexpected" flavor you describe, I would suggest putting some aside to age.
    It can be very interesting to compare how you're tastes may change, and how the tobacco changes as well.

BriarRabbit likes this.
  12. KarlMaldenNose

KarlMaldenNose Member

Interesting. BriarRabbit finds LBF to be sweeter than Escudo. I personally don't get much sweetness from Escudo and that's one of the reasons I like it so much. Hey, just goes to show you that everyone is different and there are thousands of blends out there for a reason.

BriarRabbit likes this.
  13. ccwco

ccwco Member

LBF has become my go-to. I really haven't tried to discern any particular notes from it as yet, but sometime when I get bored maybe I'll figure out why I like it so much.
    But I dont know what Chinese black tea tastes like. So if I do detect it, I'll maybe assign some other flavor.

BriarRabbit likes this.
  14. ShawnP

ShawnP Member

I haven't had the pleasure of smoking any of this but if it has hints of Chinese black tea I am in. Man that sounds amazing. ( I love good tea).

Thanks for this post.

Shawn

BriarRabbit likes this.
  15. BriarRabbit

BriarRabbit Member

It is wonderful stuff ... even without that mystical profile I got. I'm going to be aging the LBF and LNF I just ordered to see how that changes things up. I highly recommend both.

David

Raffxr7 and ShawnP like this.
  16. Raffxr7

Raffxr7 Active Member

My first pound of something cellared was LBF, broken down into half pint jars so I could dip into the stash of it as it ages and not blow the whole aging process... and I donĀ“t wind up drying it all out. :)

LostDog13 and BriarRabbit like this.
  17. Jay

Jay Active Member

BULLSEYE!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.