1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Soft cob

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Whalehead King, Jul 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Whalehead King

Whalehead King Balaenius Rex!!

I've read about people poking a hole through the bottom of a cob and how the ones with the wooden bottom were a better deal. I never had the experience. I have four Legends with the natural bottom. I'm smoking one now and I almost put my thumb up through the base!

I've been smoking this one for about five months. I checked the others and they're all solid. This one I'm smoking though is very mushy, not wet but soft and I really think I can put my finger through it. So, I know this is a fairly common finding but it is a question of quality control since my other Legends don't have this? Is it the climate, perhaps...switching from semi-humid Boston to totally hot and humid New Orleans (doubtful since the others don't have it)? The results of buying a natural product?

I tend toward the last explanation and I don't mind. I'll try giving the pipe a week or so's rest to see what happens. Will it be saved?

Is anyone so against the Legend that they'll only smoke Diplomats (with the wooden plug)? There seems to be a three dollar price difference so if one out of four goes soft after five months, I figure it's still a safe bet.

Thanks.

2. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Not sure it helps, but I just noticed this with a MM Mini. After one smoke, I noticed the 'pith', the soft center that becomes the bowl bottom, was soft as hell. I decided for 2 bucks(to lose)... to experiment. I added an applewood plug, cut from the crab-apple tree I have out back.
    For the few minutes involved, I gained a quality (ok, cheap quality) smoker to play with. So far, so good! BTW, my two Legends show no sign of a soft bottom...but then again, they are thicker...and harder.

3. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

in all the cobs i've owned over the years (back when i smoked them exclusively) i had this happen 2-3 times. its worse when you smoke them non-stop five times a day for 3-4 months at a time before buying a new cob but i found out that basically if you dont poke it it doesnt hurt the smoke or fall apart on its own, so just leave em be and they'll be fine.

SERIOUSLY

QUIT PICKIN AT IT

4. nobler son

nobler son Member

That's what the actress said to the bishop.

I just noticed this with my oldest legend. I can't poke a whole through the bottom, but it is definitely getting rather soft.

5. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi,

Never yet come upon this problem with any of mine' but I tend to think it must indeed be the natural product thing. I like Legends a lot but for me the Diplomat is the greatly superior smoking experience - cooler slower even drier, plus it's nice in the hand - yeh I know the actress said that to the bishop too!

Best to all

Gerry

6. WyoBob

WyoBob Member

The first pipe I bought when I started back with the pipe 5 months ago was a Legend. I've probably smoked 100+ bowls through this pipe and it's still solid. I did line the bottom of the Legend and my Country Gentleman with pipe mud after the stems burned down just to round out and fill in any voids.

The last pipe I bought was the Diplomat. I agree with Gerry. I get the best smoke from the Diplomat. I very much like the MM "Danish" stem that comes with the Diplomat compared to the original stems on the C.G. and Legend. I ordered some Danish stems as replacements and put heat shrink on all of them and they are very comfortable bits.

WyoBob

7. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Is "heat shrink" okay to have in your mouth for any length of time? I mean as for the chem make up of it........ what exactly is it? It's great for cables and insulating solder'd connections but to have it in your mouth? :thumbsu:

8. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

BOT, that's one of the beauties of cobs. So inexpensive you can pitch it and not really get set back much. I've heard of some prematurely "burn thru" but not often. If you're a heavy, fast, and hard puffer, and smoke multiple bowls/day in the same cob and smoke with vigor always and down to the bottom, I guess you could easily force a "burn thru" but why????

Just enjoy your cob. If it burns thru, you've got the option to plug it or pitch it! Hell, may even become a much better smoke too! I've got a nice piece of wood set aside that's had no chemicals or bad stuffs just in case I need to plug up a friend in need. Get crafty and make it bettah!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.