Solani Aged Burley Flake...Mmm...

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by ChrisB, May 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChrisB

ChrisB Active Member

Well, this is hitting the spot right now. It doesn't have the broadest, most rich taste, but it is simply delicious, with beautiful notes of toffee and candied something or other. Just delicious. For people that like this, what sort of pipe do you think really goes well with it? I have it in a Ferndwown Bulldog (my splurge pipe).
    Thanks.

PipeSimmo, Mington, JimInks and 2 others like this.
  2. David Emond

David Emond Active Member

I didn't get any sweet taste from this blend Only a huge headache lol. that was a while ago so I should revisite this blend.

3. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

:haha:

PipeSimmo and YAPPG like this.
  4. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

A Ferndown Bulldog sounds perfect ! I like it in any medium sized pipe

5. ChrisB

ChrisB Active Member

I found that the sweet candied notes only came out when I very gently "sipped" it. Kind of annoying since I really like to puff.

6. jdto

jdto Well-Known Member

If I sip it, I get some caramel, chocolate notes. It's been a while, but yeah, good stuff.

PipeSimmo and ruffinogold like this.
  7. gahdzila

gahdzila Member

Excellent question. I ordinarily like ABF quite a bit. But I had a bowl recently, and it was not-so-great - folded and stuffed a cob. Further research is needed. I probably rubbed out before (when it was good for me, that is)...so maybe prep makes a difference with this one?

ruffinogold likes this.
  8. aieeegrunt

aieeegrunt Member

I find it absolutely delicious. It's like smoking very mellow not too sweet brown sugar. You absolutely have to take it slow

I must confess if I smoke it too quickly I get a little sick. Try it again buddy, it's one of my top three. Sip it slowly. I usually let it dry out a bit before I smoke it because you then you don't have to draw as hard to keep it lit. Can't thank you enough for sending me some, I'd love it if we could figure out a way for you to enjoy it too.

9. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I rub this blend halfway in a " regular " or Medium size bowl . It's a bit overwhelming in a pot and not so good in a smallish pipe .. for me , anyway

Whoa , I just realized I do dedicate some blends to a certain size bowl .. not many , but this is one of them . I think maybe my brain is starting to think after 46 years :eek:

PipeSimmo likes this.
  10. PipeSimmo

PipeSimmo Active Member

A mouth-watering thread this is...:) I have to smoke a bowl of ABF in a cob right now. (BradNTX pointed out to me to try it in a cob "A cob however, soaks up the essence of Burleys and enhances its flavor like no briar ever has for me at least.") - and he was right, ABF is even better in a cob.

BradNTX, RTOdhner, Rodfather and 2 others like this.
  11. Tycho

Tycho Member

This was my early experience with pipe tobacco and it was just horrible. It also hit me with an internal migraine. This experience has been the reason for me to steer clear of aged Burley. Maybe I'll give it it another shot later.

David Emond likes this.
  12. David Emond

David Emond Active Member

Thats the same reaction that i got, i also tried this when i started to smoke. Now i fell safe with all the snuff that i take and pipe tobacco that my nic resistance has increased.

13. Tycho

Tycho Member

Infernal not internal... Autocorrect :)

14. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

I'd agree that it smokes very nice in a cob. It also smokes very well in my Falcons, especially in the Istanbul bowl. I smoke a lot of Burley blends, and my Falcon bowls are pretty much tooned to Burleys. The Istanbul is the bowl it seems to prefer.

PipeSimmo likes this.
  15. taharris

taharris Sales Account

No don't! I'm sure your next headache will be much worse.

Send what you have left to me and I will carefully dispose of it for you.:byg:

Todd

aieeegrunt, BradNTX and David Emond like this.
  16. Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer Member

I think this type of tobacco needs a large bowl. The BU really shines.
    I tend to prefer Wessex Burley Slice as I find it less bitter, especially on the relights.

17. ChrisB

ChrisB Active Member

is there a similar flavor profile to the Wessex and Solani? Just bought a few Wessex, but have not tried them yet.
    Thanks.

18. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

This is my favorite Burley. I tried it in several briars and never thought it was as good as it is in a Burley dedicated cob. Folded and stuffed in a tall Country Gent does it for me best. My Sas briar recently acquired is the only briar that I smoke it in- it does Burley exceptionally well too.

For a little change, I'll f&s stuff some ABF & top it off with a pinch or 2 of Carter Hall.

19. aieeegrunt

aieeegrunt Member

Let it air out a bit before you smoke it. Small sips. If I smoke it like it was 3 Oaks it's like three bottles of Jamaican Rum were suddenly IV'd into my system.

David Emond likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.