1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Solani vs. Wessex

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by BradNTX, Mar 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

I've smoked a couple of tins of Solani Aged Burley Flake now. I originally purchased it at the request of several PSFers, and have purchased some other Burley toby recently as well. One is Wessex Burley Slice, which I just opened today. The tin is exactly the same as the Solani ABF tin except for the sticker. Even the paper liner has the same artwork. I sniffed, and found a similar tangy smell to ABF.

I smoked a bowl of ABF yesterday, but it was the last flake, and was fairly dry. The Wessex BS is a fresh tin and fairly moist, so the flavor profile is a tad different, but it still reminded me of ABF when IT was new. Is there a difference? Are they made by the same tobacco company in Germany?

BTW, I did like the Wessex. It had a great, smooth flavor just like ABF. Now I'm curious.

2. Legend

Legend Member

I have smoked both and noticed the similarities as you did. That being said I prefer the Wessex. It smoked more consistantly for me.

3. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

I've found them to be pretty similar but not the same. ABF has a tad sweeter, more "chocolatey" taste (in the sense of bakers unsweetened cocoa) and the Wessex has the more hay-like, natural taste... more like the old Edgeworth Slices.

The differences aren't enough to bother with too much, though. I've smoked a lot of both and I doubt that I could pick the two out in a blind test to the usual 95% confidence level.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.