1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Solution to Cob v. Briar

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Hudson, Apr 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hudson

Hudson Member

Don't know if these have been genetically modified but they are definitely hybrids:

http://billboylepipes.weebly.com/corn-cobs-and-briobs.html

2. Rewster66

Rewster66 Active Member

3. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Interesting concept but not sure if it's a solution to briar v. cob. Both factions may hate them. :ohyh:

dgerwin11, Ted Vig and OldSchool like this.
  4. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

I already have the solution, that's why I smoke cobs! :D Bill Boyle known as billiard on another popular forum has been doing cob mods for a couple of years, he also makes briar pipes.

5. Russell Hartman

Russell Hartman Stay Silver

I will also echo that his pipes--ie---cob/briar mods are unique. I actually am not into bamboo, but his briar, and cob mods with regular stems actually are pretty nice looking from the photos in his previous pipes page. I think they are pretty cool looking----neat idea. They are like most pipes as far as looks. What one may not like---another person may REALLY desire to own a particular pipe as it grabs their eye. Again--unique concept, and idea.

Scottly likes this.
  6. Johnny Dingo

Johnny Dingo Writer of wrongs

I don't know if I feel revulsion, confusion or intrigue, but I keep coming back and looking at these. Has anybody actually smoked one of these?

SouthBound likes this.
  7. Preacher1611

Preacher1611 Active Member

I think some of those are pretty sweet. I'd smoke 'em!

8. John Long

John Long Member

Looks as though stem cell research has paid off.

Arkie and OldSchool like this.
  9. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

Definitely a different take on the cob mod.....

10. Billiard

Billiard Member

Those were all made a few years back, just drinking some beer and having fun in the garage. Never really made any cobs for sale. You can only make so many normal looking cob mods before you start just having some fun with it... well that's how it went with me anyhow :) I still have and smoke many of these.

I switched over to working with briar not too far back and am having a lot of fun with it. Nothing for sale right now but please feel free to take a look at my briars to see what I am up to nowadays.

Thanks,
    Billiard

11. Scottly

Scottly Member

I would take the top right one in a heartbeat :drly: Some others I liked as well. :th1:

12. Stoked

Stoked Member

Interesting hybrids. I don't see any with a briar top and a cob bottom (with a hardwood insert to be specific).

I would think this would be the cat's meow. Briar on top would burn sightly hotter, where the baccy tends to burn cooler anyway. Having a cob base would be better for absorbing moisture, and somewhat cooler than a briar base, in my opinion.

Just some thoughts... on a subject where nobody has any ideas on how these babies smoke. :byg:

13. Hudson

Hudson Member

Hi Bill Thanks for dropping by and explaining your inspiration for these hybrids. Hope you don't mind my sharing them with the gang here - you obviously had great fun making them and I thought they would enjoy seeing them. I really like your Magma II, the heavily rusticated volcano.

14. Billiard

Billiard Member

Thanks, that one is Morta and Cob ;) Was still using preformed stems then.

Your post led me to this fine forum, thanks for it.

I haven't been at briar for too long and am missing most of the equipment one could use (like a lathe and a bandsaw), so sometimes I am still doing classic shapes by hand because one should learn how... but other times like with Magma II I am just making whatever the heck I feel like :)

Admittedly that pipe was a few pipes back so I will probably revisit that shape and make another one sometime as I think I could now come closer to what I had in my mind when I made it.

Thanks,
    Billiard

15. user2725

user2725 Active Member

Some interesting cobs there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.