1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Some general questions

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by Kevin Farelli, Nov 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kevin Farelli

Kevin Farelli Member

Nov 12, 2012
    I was going to post this in the "ask the old farts" section. I apologize if this is the wrong area to post this in. I'm new to pipes. I've been smoking cigars for years and have come to appreciate good tobacco. Pipes almost seem like a whole new ball game. I currently to all my tobacco shopping at my local tobacconist, pipesandcigars.com, and thompsoncigars.com. Looking for some expert advice here:

Do pipes require filters?

Also, I'm looking around for some quality aromatics at a good price.

Any advice would be appreciated, thank you. :)
    jason1977 likes this.
  2. Goat

Goat Active Member

Jun 27, 2012
    Welcome aboard.

Fist question....Do pipes require filters. Answer is no, they do not "require" filters but many people prefer to use them. I personally do not use them.

Second question. Quality aromatics at a good price... Well, ya opened the flood gates with this one. I hope your ready for a long list of stuff to try. I personally do not smoke aromatics but I'm sure that by the time some of the other members see this you'll have more suggestions than you know what to do with.

Again. Welcome
  3. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Jul 15, 2009
    As a slightly broader addendum to Goat's correct answer, some pipes are built to accept a 9mm filter, these are quite common in Europe, less so here, and some pipes are built to accept a proprietary filter of some kind - Savinelli will sell you little balsa triangles and Brigham has maple tube inserts. They all work fine to some extent or another. Some pipes are built with NO filter in the rigging, and of course, in this case, you don't get any choice about filter use.

Lane's 1Q is probably the most widely available, cheapest, and most adored aromatic.

Peterson's tins are pretty good but more spendy.
    Goat likes this.
  4. PipeWife

PipeWife Active Member

Oct 11, 2012
    I do enjoy some 1-Q ... a pleasant and mild smoke with an A+ room note. If you want flavored aromatics though, I simply cannot endorse Boswell's in Pennsylvania enough.
    Johnny Dingo likes this.
  5. LifeOfRiley

LifeOfRiley Active Member

Dec 28, 2011
    Look for Lane and Peter Stokkebye blends. A lot of brick & mortar stores carry these in bulk (for sale by the ounce), though they might sell them under a house label (common industry practice). An economical way to try a lot of different blends.

+1 on the 1-Q. Can't go wrong with that one, especially in mixed company.
  6. brumoon

brumoon Member

Oct 26, 2012
    I generally prefer no filters, however I just bought a couple that use them. There are a lot of good aero's out there and everyone's taste is different. I happen to like Boswells both for taste and price - YMMV.
    Artistik likes this.
  7. piper mike

piper mike Member

Sep 6, 2012
    Don't no much about filters except I toss them... however Boswell makes great aromatics mu favorite is piper's pleasure its nice and mild and has no overkill I think they run around3. 00 an ounce.they have a great selection
  8. Bradabelko4

Bradabelko4 Member

Jul 5, 2012
    If you buy a pipe that comes with a filter, such as a Dr. Grabow or Missouri Meerschaum, try smoking them with and without the filter. See what you like better. Its a matter of personal preference. I personally don't like them, they restrict the draw more than I like.

As for aro's, I don't smoke many cheap ones. I do thoroughly enjoy C&D Autumn Evening. Its mapley. Delicious.

As for being, welcome. No matter how much you search for answers on technique on here, it all comes down to you trying it. When I first started, I wanted all the answers with schematics and equations. After a while I threw my arms up, gave it all the bird, and just did what I like. I'm sure if everyone here knew most of my practices, some would cry. Just don't be afraid to do what you like or what works for you. Smoke what you like, like what you smoke.
  9. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

May 19, 2010
    I prefer non filters other than cobs during the first few smokes. Then I remove the filter.
  10. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Welcome to the forum; and the craft, if you will. As others have said, no, a pipe doesn't require a filter. In fact, I'd dare say most pipe smokers prefer not to have a filtered pipe as many suggest it affects the flavor or the overall experience.

I use Balsa filters in my Savinelli, but not in any other pipe only because they don't require one. With the exception of my Corn cobs; which use an inexpensive Grabows type paper filters. I usually just omit the filter from them, honestly. It's not necessary.

If you're looking to start out with a couple, or few, good smoking, workhorses, Savinelli makes a good basic line of pipes, as well as Tsuge. But the more you learn here, it will become easier to find what is best suited to you. In regard to pipes, as well as tobaccos.

Enjoy your journey.
  11. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2009
    These folks got the pipe question covered, but they don't know Jack about aromatics. There are only two that are worthy of smoking...Evening Stroll by Benjamin Hartwell, and Shortcut to Mushrooms, from Just For Him, in Springfield MO. How do I know this? They are the only ones my mother-in-law will allow me to smoke in her non-smoking home!
  12. FlatbushPaul

FlatbushPaul Cellar is in an undisclosed Bunker

Jun 5, 2010
    You will have to figure ou tthe filter issue yourself. I don't like them and in some of my Sav's I use the tube they supply to smoke it without a filter. Otherwise I just smoke the pipe without the filter.
    On aromatic blends, I agree with t-bear on the Shortcut to Mushrooms. I have never had the Evening Stroll though. I smoke a Virginia for sweetness when I want a sweet flavor. Most Aro's only smell sweet to me and in reality smoke bland or even bitter. They smell better than they taste to me. Shortcut to Mushrooms actually tastes sweet to me and it is fairly dry, so there are some out there. I tend to like British Aro's with their Lakeland finish. That is much more pleasing to me than goopy vanilla. JMHO. The fun here is gonna be finding out what YOU like! The journey is most of the fun!

Bradabelko4 likes this.
  13. Kevin Farelli

Kevin Farelli Member

Nov 12, 2012
    Appreciate all the help everyone, thank you.
  14. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

Apr 1, 2011
    Asking for recommendations on blends of tobacco is a bit like asking which flavor of ice cream is best. Try a few and then let us know which ones you liked and why you liked them. On that basis, we will have some idea of what your preferences might be and then we can suggest other blends.

Although you didn't ask about acquiring pipes I'll throw in some advice for free. :) Get a couple of corn cob pipes because they cost only a few bucks. In the meantime, you can take your time checking out available meerschaum and briar pipes and make an informed decision about buying them.

Welcome to PSF. I envy the fun you are about to have in exploring the world of pipe smoking.
  15. Bear84

Bear84 Member

Jan 29, 2012
    Like T-Bear said, Shortcut to Mushrooms is really good stuff, one of my mainstays and I'm really getting away from aromatics.. That said it does have a good solid body to it, and I've smoked several different aro's in my time. Most of them bite like an old ugly junkyard dog and taste like hot nothing. Everybody around you enjoys them because they smell great! You may find some that you love, and don't let my rant dissuade you. If you've been on the cigars for years the pipe offers quite a different experience in flavor mainly because the tobacco isn't actually touching your mouth. Also, don't shy away from some over the counter (OTC) tobaccos, my main smoke is Carter Hall.
    Above all, don't overthink it, it's just pipe smoking.
    Monkey likes this.
  16. menachem

menachem Member

Oct 9, 2012
    I live in europe these days and filter pipes are very common here, particularly in Germany. I worked at a Tinder Box in kcmo a number of years ago and we were told to not use filters as it traps the moisture and can give a nasty taste to the pipe. I don't use filters, but many people do. If you decide to go with a filter, just make sure you change it regularly, otherwise you really DO end up with a nasty taste.
    Rodfather likes this.
  17. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2011
    Some pipes take filters, and some don't. I don't really care for the factory-made filers, but I have used strips of tightly rolled paper towel on pipes that do take them. It only lasts for a smoke or two, but it's cheaper than a factory-made filter and doesn't mute the flavor or impede air flow. Beware though, what you find on that paper towel filter might curl your hair.

As far as aromatics go, I don't really care for them. However, I like MacB blends like Scottish Mixture, Golden Extra, and London Burley Blend. Strictly speaking, these are aromatic blends - but they are very light aros. Ditto on old school American Burley blends (aka OTC/Drug Store blends) like Sir Walter Raleigh, Velvet, and Granger. As far as a full aro goes, I really like Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic.
  18. aieeegrunt

aieeegrunt Member

Jul 7, 2012
    As far as a tasty aromatic for a begginer you cannot lose with Captain Black White. If you can find it MacBaren's Honey and Chocolate is excellent as well.
  19. jason1977

jason1977 Active Member

Jul 12, 2011
    They don't require them per se. Some are made so filters can be used. It's up to you. For really strong blends, consider using a filter pipe. (corn cobs, Dr. Grabow, etc)

Stanwell Melange is my favorite aromatic & the only one I'll smoke, but after you try it, etc, consider breaking it apart & putting it in a mason jar. Also, this stuff can be very soupy & wet if you puff on it too hard. You'll know you got your technique down if your pipe doesn't gurgle. Keep 2 pipe cleaners at your side while smoking it. Also, I'd dedicate a pipe to JUST aromatics. Going from Aro's to non-aro's can taste kinda funky.
  20. CaKy

CaKy Member

Jul 8, 2012
    Hey Kevin and welcome from another cigar guy new to pipes and PSF. I am an officially an old fart but I am not an old pipe fart...confusing, I know.

You know how the 'gars went probably...how you just had to try all of them to get your bearings. One small desktop led to a larger humidor and eventually you end up with a pair of 120 quart coolers stuffed to the top where you had to sit a weight on top of it to make sure you had a good seal to hold the humidity, a table with a capacity of about 300, 8 more desktops with varying capacities from 25 to 100 and that holy grail of furniture humidification containers...an 8 drawer H. Upmann burlwood double glass door limited edition for your favorites complete with lock and key...not mentioning a horde of tupperwares holding the stogies for the moochers that don't really smoke cigars but want to share yours. 'Member that? Well, things get worse now. And you just started it with that question up there /\ at the top. You did it and there are a bunch of enablers around this forum that are more than glad to see you walk the line of chapter 7 bankruptcy filing as you scorch your tongue to well worn saddle leather. Don't forget to buy a big bottle of Biotin mouthwash too. As a beginner, expect to lose all sense of taste to salty flavors as you wear down that bottle of Biotin and be sure to run your tongue out far as you can every morning and night checking it to see if it's got cuckleburrs embedded aside the papillae on it or if it's just a good layer of 600 grit sandpaper you swallowed in your sleep. No pain, no gain. Be not fearsome however, it does get better. I can proudly say that now I can lick a frozen flagpole and get my tongue stuck, then proceed to dull a hacksaw blade with the surface of my mouth muscle.

New to pipes just recently, I'm closing in on 50 devices with 5 more on the way from around the globe carved from everything from ancient Himalayan hummingbird droppings to Missouri vegetable matter and bowling balls. Of course, I hadda have racks to hold em, pipe cleaners (2 sizes...don't forget the churchwardens), bristle brushes, pipe lighters, picks, spoons, scrapers, travel cases, stands and holders made from toilet paper rolls to highly polished 304 stainless steel. About the only thing you bring from the cigar world is butane and I'm sure these gents and gals around here have some specialized "pipe" lighter butane that is not compatible with your old Xikar stogie torch. They'll eventually let you know with an indiscreet post hidden somewhere down in the dredges of this forum. They act innocent but they know exactly what they are doing to us new guys. I believe it's their inhumane way of getting their jollies...sitting back and laughing their **ses off while we cower in the corner every time the wife walks in and we are on another website in the middle of a $300.00 order for the recommended stuff.

And now, Mr Kevin...you ask about tobacco. Aromatics, in particular. Me too. Just follow the lead here and buy 2 of all you can possibly afford when these enablers suggest something. Those "I don't like aros" kinda guys...pay attention and go ahead and buy what they say too cause you are going to do it. This WILL happen so resistance is futile. Be prepared.

Enjoy your new journey, Kevin. And remember...you asked so it's all your fault.
    Monkey likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.