1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Some general questions

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by Kevin Farelli, Nov 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

I'm just curious about what you are looking for in an aromatic, especially coming from cigars. Do you want something with a nice room note while you're smoking, or just something that tastes sweeter? I like pipes for the variety of quality leaf you can find, and tasting the different varieties. (And I never use filters)

2. jason1977

jason1977 Active Member

Just as an FYI, I only own 8 pipes.

2 corn cobs for travel or for whenever, or for when I've sweetened my briers & they need a day or 2 to rest before I light them up again. 5 brier wood for home & a meer. I don't collect pipes. I'm not a pipe snob, I'm a tobacco snob meaning I know what I like & I know what I think is lousy. I'm very much attached to the ones I have & a new one would be a pain to break in, build a cake, etc. It would be the new guy sitting at the long established poker table saying, "deal me in - sucka!" Then again, I'm not a hoarder, LOL. English & Navy blends along w. straight matured virginias & Va/Per's. That's what I smoke. I know what I like. My recent new love is Mac Baren H&H. 1/2 burley & 1/2 virginia. I haven't strayed from my well beaten & comfy pipe path ever. I've sampled, I've experimented, & after 12 years, if ya don't know what you like, it ain't never gonna happen.

That said, I know what I like. I'm definitely not a collector, or a hoarder whether pipes or tobacco. I never go more than 3 tins deep in cellaring. Then again, I smoke once a day. Some people carry all their pipes w. them during travel, some take 2 or 3 of their favorites, some take 5 on a weekend trip because they figure they'll know when the mood strikes which pipe to use. Each has their own brand of insanity. I prefer the cobs during travel. I don't need pipe cleaners, just a tool. Pouch, pipes, tool, matches. Not an ensemble, lol! People stress out over stuff like that (which pipes to take & which tobaccos) which reminds me of my sister when I was younger fussing over which earrings to wear w. a dress, lol.

In the end, it is enjoyment YOUR way, YOUR style, YOUR comfort, & Your brand of insanity, whatever shape & form it may take. No matter how you choose, you won't be wrong as long as it's enjoyable to you.

Tobaccos I can't seem to live without:

Samuel Gwaith Squadron Leader
    G.L. Pease Chelsea Morning
    G.L. Pease Key Largo (English blend with cigar wrapper leaf blended in)
    C&D Black Frigate (Royal Navy Blend...((English Blend w. a hint of rum)))
    C&D Blockade Runner (Virginia soaked in rum for 7 days then pressed)
    Kansas City Pipe Club "BOSTON 1776" (My absolute favorite Virginia Flake of all time, exquisite is the word I choose)
    Frog Morton, any blend (favorite latakia mixes)
    MacBaren Plumcake / and or H&H ~(H&H pretty much all I smoke as far as burley is concerned. Best VA /Bur flake IMHO)
    Escudo Navy Deluxe (which is really just a VA/per flake medallions)
    Peter Stokkebye's Luxury Navy Flake. (Va / Per / Black Cavendish)
    Virginia flake. I'm not picky, but Samuel Gwaith does it good, MacBaren's is ok, but Boston 1776 is my favorite.

Aromatics, I'd go w. Stanwell Melange. Leaves a room note like Creme Brulee or cotton candy. Tried that back in 2006, so it's been a while, but I remembered I liked it. I haven't bought an Aro' since. LOL. I figured, why hide the flavor of tobacco?

To each their own though. I'll tell ya, try a latakia blend sometime. THAT is what got me into the natural side of pipe smoking causing me to ditch aromatics altogether. 3 Oaks is the tin that did it, lol.

3. Monkey

Monkey Active Member

Welcome!

You are pretty well covered on the pipe question by now...

I like Shortcut to Mushrooms and CAO Cherry Bomb. Everyone I have encountered while smoking them likes those two...even me.

jason1977 likes this.
  4. jason1977

jason1977 Active Member

heard of the mushrooms one, just never tried it. Never heard of the cherry bomb one, but doesn't sound interesting just because I don't do aro's. I'll have to give the shortcut to mushrooms a shot.

5. Monkey

Monkey Active Member

I usually do English or Lakeland flakes but sometimes a nice aromatic with a pleasant room note (or outdoor note) makes your pipe smoking less offensive to innocent bystanders.

Usually I say "F*** 'em and feed 'em fish!" If they disagree with my smoking...but sometimes I like to revered, not feared.

jason1977 likes this.
  6. jason1977

jason1977 Active Member

C&D Blockade Runner (Va's soaked in rum 7 days, then pressed), MacBaren's Plumcake, or even a latakia bomb are my crowd pleasers. People say whatever I smoke smells like "pipe smoke" & when I smoke latakia blends, they say it smells like church incense. If I smoked Aro's, I'd have to dedicate a pipe to it & I only own 5 briers & a meer w. 2 cobs, lol.

Edit: I only smoke outdoors

7. Monkey

Monkey Active Member

I get the incense comments about Latakia as well. Depends on the crowd.

I like the car note from those two as well. Beats an air freshener.

As for pipes, get an aro dedicated cob. Cheap and useful.

8. Whalehead King

Whalehead King Balaenius Rex!!

I do use filters for the pipes that take them. Whether you use them or not is up to you. You will find arguments pro and con, but in the end it probably doesn't matter if however you are smoking fits your smoking technique.

I cut my teeth on "confectionary tobacco" from L. J. Piretti in Boston. You might want to try their cigar blend or any of their other custom blends. These are not mass marketed. They mixed in the back by third- and forth-generation tobacconists, but they guided my tastes for many years and were a nice introduction to the subtle joys of pipe smoking. Order a tin and you will get a paint can full of tobacco, so choose wisely. I think you might like their cigar leaf blend.

Smoke in good health and enjoy whatever is in your bowl.
    WK

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.