1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Some Help Identifying Mystery Pipe

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by dwpipes, Apr 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dwpipes

dwpipes Sales Account

[​IMG][​IMG]

I know there are more 'unmarked', vintage pipes out there than there are leaves on the trees of a forest, but this one has caught my attention.

It is stamped "IMPORTED BRIAR" only no other info, but it is a nice (small) piece of briar. It looks very 'art deco' and it has the feel of 'old briar'. It is shaped like an inverted wedge tent and as you can see the stem goes straight into the base of the briar and connects to the chamber via a vertical hole just in front of the end of the tenon.There are no markings on the stem and it might be a replacement. Anyone run across anything like this? Appreciate any input.

2. User3940

User3940 Active Member

Never seen one like it. But put a note on your refrigerator that says...COASTIE WANTS TO GIVE A GOOD HOME TO THE BLOCK PIPE. :byg:

3. dwpipes

dwpipes Sales Account

Sorry Coastie! Belongs to a friend I cleaned it up for. If I ever see another one, I'll keep you in mind.

User3940 likes this.
  4. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

Tim West does a lot of odd shapes like that. But I don't see his sig or markings on it anywhere. Probably a basket pipe being marked "Imported Briar".

5. colorduke

colorduke Active Member

It looks like and early D&P from Sparta NC.

Wildcat likes this.
  6. Russell Hartman

Russell Hartman Stay Silver

Sorry I cannot help you either. I will how ever say that that pipe would look good for the Civil War re-enactment buff. When I saw it I immediately had a thought of a Civil War soldier sitting by an evening fire after a hard days battle.

7. dwpipes

dwpipes Sales Account

I found a picture of a D&P pipe at http://pipephil.eu/logos/en/logo-d1.html. I agree that there are certainly some stylistic similarities in stem, bowl shape and short/no shank. I even took this pipe out into the sunlight and examined with a magnifying glass to see if I missed the logo, but it isn't there. As you said, could be an early pipe?

Pipedia has no info on D&P Pipe Co., later Sparta Pipe Works or D.P. Levitas. Nothing in 'Rare Smoke'. Do you know of any other info on D&P?

8. ted

ted Member

David and Paul LAVIETES.
    Operated a rhodendron and laurel mill in Boone, NC from 1941 till 1945. This was started because briar from Greece, Italy, and Spain wasn't available.
    In 1944 D&P added a mill in Sparta, NC which became the Dr. Grabow factory....

IMHO this is not a D&P.. stem aint' quite right...

I have a 1945 D&P on my desk at this moment, and there is no doubt about the stamping or that this one is rhodendron.... ted

Thuber88, dwaugh and colorduke like this.
  9. ted

ted Member

BUT......... From about 1969 ff, Paul F had a similar pipe on his desk that he bought in NYC. In about 1975 we/Grabow created the CDL as a copy of this pipe.

Check out CDL, and Metal Smoking Pipes... ted

10. dwpipes

dwpipes Sales Account

Ted, thanks for the additional info on D&P and your assessment of this pipe. Interesting how one design concept sparks another leading to the CDL.

ted likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.