1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Some "to try" baccy suggestions?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by grga, Jan 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grga

grga Member

Nov 2, 2010
    OK, I'd like to ask you guys to recommend me some mew "to try" baccy(s).

Here is what I LOVE from Lat blends:
    Frog Morton, OTT, OTB
    SG Squadron Leader
    Balkan Sobranie
    McClelland British Woods
    McClelland Bulk 5110 Dark Full English

Here is what I LIKE from Lat blends:
    GLP Chelsea Morning

Here is what I LOVE from Aro blends:
    McClelland Town Topic (ultimate No.1 for all times )
    Dan Tobacco Da Vinci
    4noggins Three Blind Moose

Here is what I LIKE from Aro blends:
    Sillem's Green
    W.O. Larsen Limited Edition 2010
    C&D Autumn Evening
    G&H Rum Flake

Here is what I LIKE from Va blends:
    Mac Baren Navy Flake

Here is what I smoke occasionally but not like much:
    Mac Baren Mixture Scottish Blend
    Mac Baren HH Vintage Syrian
    Sillem's Black

Here is what I want to try (you tell me what I shouldn't ):
    PS Balkan Supreme
    PS Proper English
    Just For Him, anything from Middle Earth series...
    Frog Morton ATP
    Lane 1-Q
    Anything from McClelland

Conclusion, so far, is that I have a "sweet tooth" and really like mild and sweet Latakia blends like FMOTT and McC's 5110.
    Thank you in advance for helping me making my "to try" list.
  2. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Most of my suggestions would seem pretty pedestrian given your tastes, grga but I can heartily reccomend McClelland's Navy Cavendish. To me, it's a very satisfying smoke and this type of tobacco is probably not too far off what a lot of old-timers smoked over 100 years ago.
  3. Trendsetter

Trendsetter Member

Dec 22, 2010
    Try frog morton ATP please. Its so delicious. Im gonna be buying a pound of it sometime soon i hope
  4. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Feb 11, 2010
    Sounds like Middle Earth it is...Shortcut to Mushrooms...an aromatic latakia blend. Appears to be a little bit of everything you're looking for.

If not that, Balkan Supreme is a 'Swedish' (sweetish) Balkan blend.

You'll probably like both of these, judging by your tastes.
  5. gandalf7531

gandalf7531 Member

Dec 28, 2010
    If I ever go to the "poor shed" (already in the poor house, only place to move is out back!), I'd want to keep my pipe and a supply of Shortcut to Mushrooms. Awesome stuff. Smokes cool and smooth.

Grga, you've smoked more blends than I have, but I'm wondering if maybe some of McClelland's Oriental Mixture, like their #14 or their Grand Orientals blends would be something you'd like. I've heard some folks compare them to FMOTT in terms of sweetness.

Keep us posted on what you find out.
  6. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2010
    X 3 on the recommendation for STM. It's one of my favorites and even have a dedicated Sas pipe for it.

The other recommendation I would make, based on some of your likes, is 4noggins Bald Headed Teacher. Another smooth, smokey & sweet tobacco I love.
  7. GlassSculptor

GlassSculptor Active Member

Jan 17, 2010
    Mild, sweet Latakia Blends- Dunhill EMP, Hearth and Home's Daybreak, McClelland's Jubilee

For a heavier/stronger Latakia blend try G.L. Pease's Quiet Nights. Sweet, smokey.....An excellent broken flake.

If you like Escudo try Solani's Silver Flake. It doesn't have Perique in it but it's still sweet and spicy and fairly strong.

Robert McConnells' Scottish Cake is another delicious blend.....Mild/medium in strength. The tin note is killer!

8. pottsy

pottsy Member

Jul 10, 2010
    Another vote for McClelland's Jubilee.

Also give Presbyterian Mixture a try.

Go to 4noggins website and get some Ol Limey Bastard. Supposedly, it's a great bulk substitute for MM965. I can't vouch for that, as I have not had 965, but OLB is durn good stuff, and is quickly becoming one of my fav's.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.