1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Something Special to me!

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by 421eme, Jan 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 421eme

421eme Member

You ever get sentimental/emotional when you see or buy a pipe?

This Monday, I had ran down to one of my B&M shops for some tobacco. Needless to say, it turned out to be more than tobacco that I bought!

They had only 1 of the Brigham 2011 Pipe of the Year on display in a cabinet serial #41/100 - I just had to look at her and fondle it for a while - ooh she was nice! Well I thought that it would be cool and then thought I'll wait till I come down next time.

Happily paid for my other stuff and toddled off. Got halfway home and then jacked the car around - something was telling me to get my butt back to the store and buy that pipe. Got back with 15min's to spare and happily bought the pipe.

Why you ask?

I like Brigham pipes being a Canadian - near and dear to my heart(yes, they aren't made here anymore but they are still a Canadian icon!).

My Dad had smoked a Brigham when I was too young to remember - Mom told me all about how he had a pipe and enjoyed it for years. He had stopped just before I got old enough to imprint the memories of him even smoking a pipe.

Now I'm on a treasure hunt to find his pipe - my Mom swears it's in the house somewhere - I want it so I can use it myself and keep his memory alive in some small way, as well as sharing something he enjoyed before I ever had a chance to do with him!

2011 was a very signifigant year in my life:

- My Dad passed at the too early age of 69
    - It was also my first year wedding anniversary - Dad was at the wedding in 2010, but sadly didn't live to see our first anniversary on 03 July 2011 - he earned his wings on 01 Jun 2011.
    - I turned 41 in 2011 - ergo why the serial #41/100 hit me like a tonne of bricks when I saw it!

I swear the universe had conspired to bring me down to that shop to find that pipe with that specific serial #41/100 and make it mine! I'm holding off lighting it up, as It's gonna be a tribute smoke to Dad on 01 Jun 2013.

That pipe will NEVER leave my custody and it will be passed down to my kids when they come along.

To tell you the truth, I got all teared up about how signifigant it was to me and everything that ties it together with 2011.

So without further adieu, here she be:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. MikeInMaine

MikeInMaine Well-Known Member

You did the right thing man. Enjoy the heck out of it and I hope you find your Dads pipe too.:th1:

3. Omar Serrato

Omar Serrato Member

Pipe smoking is so cool. I have no memories like this. Nobody in my family smoked a pipe. Not my grandfather, not my dad. I hope I can create memories like this for my daughter. That is awesome.

421eme likes this.
  4. dBear

dBear Active Member

And on top of it all, that's a beautiful pipe. The contrast finish really pops!

5. Linus

Linus Member

Congrats, glad you did'nt wait so someone else could grab it :) apparently this was your pipe, even before you knew it :) and a beauty she is!

421eme and Ksummers99 like this.
  6. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Good for you. Kismet, pure and simple.

7. muddler

muddler Active Member

Very cool. You did the right thing. Us pipe smokers are quite sentimental beings. Nothing wrong with that.

8. snowman

snowman Member

Congrats and enjoy.

421eme likes this.
  9. bubbagump

bubbagump Well-Known Member

Good looking pipe.:ohyh:

10. Imrandy

Imrandy Member

Great looking pipe and grats to you

11. Russell Hartman

Russell Hartman Stay Silver

Absolutely wonderful story. You did do the right thing. Congrats. and enjoy that pipe. I as some of you have fond memories sitting on my great grandfathers lap loading his pipe, and sitting with him as he smoked along with my grandfather, and father who were all pipe smokers. These are the things pipe smoking dreams, and memories are made of--ESPECIALLY when I pipe like you got grabs you by the throat. My good man--as you smoke it---reflect, and instead of sorrow---celebrate the life of your father---I bet he's smiling down on you as you enjoy it. As I said--its pipes like the one you grabbed that build pipe dreams, and memories. By the way---its absolutely beautiful----super nice pipe.

muddler, 421eme and Ksummers99 like this.
  12. Slow Tri

Slow Tri Is it Friday yet?

Beautiful pipe......................but an even better story.

Thanks for sharing all of that my man.

421eme likes this.
  13. Ksummers99

Ksummers99 Member

Hello Everyone!!! That is a beautiful pipe 421! I inherited my Dad's collection last September. He had well over 100 smoked and unsmoked pipes! That doesn't count partial pipes, stems etc. Part of the unsmoked collection includes 2 Brigham pipes. One is a 7dot stamped "Made in Canada" and the other is a 755 with silver band stamped with their Canadian leaf with B in the middle logo. I've been thinking of selling them however the research I've done online has not produced a confident valuation on either pipe. I may look for a B&M nearest me and take them in there along with a couple of others to see if I can get a good value on them. I've attached some pics for you to see. Thanks!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Slow Tri and 421eme like this.
  14. PipeSimmo

PipeSimmo Active Member

Great story, great pipe. Thanks for sharing!

15. User3940

User3940 Active Member

Magnificent Pipe and heart warming story. Thanks for sharing.

I have been on a similar mission. I remember as a kid seeing my Dad smoke a pipe. He only had one pipe as he could not afford others while he was trying to raise 4 kids on a military pay check. I swear that he left that pipe to me before he passed away in 2008, but I have been unable to locate it. I have torn the house apart multiple times trying, but to no avail. I wasn't sure what the pipe was, but remember what it looked like, and after investigation I have concluded that it was a Twin Flow with a metal shank and fins all the way down it, from the bowel to the stem.

I keep looking for one on ebay so that I can purchase it and smoke it in his honor, but seems every time I find one I get outbid. Oh well. I'll just have to keep trying.

The memories that are imprinted on us by our parents bring such warmth, daily.

muddler, 421eme and Ksummers99 like this.
  16. Ksummers99

Ksummers99 Member

So true!!! I put aside the sentimental pipes, some petersons, comoy's, savinelli's etc. that I remember him smoking the most and some like a terrific Hungarian antique that will always remain in our family!! I'm very blessed to not only have the memories, but the pipes as well!!! I hope the rest of these pipes will eventually find their way to pipe lovers such as all of the fine folks in this forum. I learn something every time I come out here and I am just so appreciative of everyone!!!

421eme likes this.
  17. Ksummers99

Ksummers99 Member

I can only say that I have the best memories of my dad lighting up a wonderful smelling tobacco, clouds around his head as he told funny stories of his past in the Austrian millitary or of long gone family members. Truly treasured moments. Your daughter will cherish similar times as well!!!

421eme likes this.
  18. 421eme

421eme Member

Thanks everybody! Awesome kind words and some great memories that you guys have as well!

:toast: To all of us - we're a special breed, we pipe smokers!

All the best, Carl

Ksummers99 likes this.
  19. 421eme

421eme Member

I too was in the Canadian army for 14 years - medically retired - got crushed between a truck and a trailer in the middle east. It was fun when I was in - miss doing it sometimes. My Dad never got to join because he had had rheumatory arthritis since the age of 5.

My family has been in the military since before Confederation 1867 in Canada. Just the modern side, us in the 20th century and beyond have about 75 years combined service. Congrats to your Dad for serving!

All the best, Carl

20. Ksummers99

Ksummers99 Member

CHEERS!!!

421eme likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.