Sorry SG fans

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Snake, Jul 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

I can't seem to get on with these. Tried 1792 in my meer, and it was as harsh
    as the Golden Glow. Smokes well enough and didn't get hot, yet just not me
    I s'poze. Alas, I wanted to like these. Live and learn. Boys, get your Danes
    ready for trade! :thumbsu:

dp

2. ryan65

ryan65 Member

sorry to hear that... not all SG is good, FVF is ok, not the best, and the ropes where disappointing. 1792 is the only one so far I want to re-stock in or trade for :thumbsu: lol

3. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

you both need to let it dry more, rub it out finer, use the cannon ball method and smoke it slower. not saying that will make you like it but it will give you the proper SG experience rather than just boiling all the surfaces on the interior of your mouth.

4. Snake

Dub, noted. I've got a couple other briars to try these in.

Ryan, also noted. :thumbsu:

5. ryan65

ryan65 Member

oh I don't have that problem at all dub as FVF is my everyday morning smoke, like I said 1792's my new fav,I do like FVF its just not all its cracked up to be and pretty sure I could find a replacement. The brown rope is great but to much vitamin N, and the black rope tastes like soap(according to my taste buds). The only one I'm sad about not being able to get in bulk is 1792, I think it has a very unique flavor. I'm almost finished with the FVF and will be cracking the ST james next so maybe that will be another favorite.

6. Oglethorpe

Oglethorpe Active Member

Are they not selling 1792 in bulk anymore? Or is it just another "poor supply" phase we're going through. I haven't ordered any baccy in months. I decided I'd try to get through all my open stuff first.

7. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Remember, most toby will be noticably different in comparison between the first bowl of a freshly cracked tin as opposed to 6 months later. Coming back to it may give you a completely different experience and you may find that you like it more than when you were ready to give or trade it away........just sayin'

:music_band:

Ed Puff!

8. clivem

clivem New Member

Curious. I wouldn't describe either of those as being harsh and I smoke a lot of them both.

9. atwageman

atwageman Member

Let it breath for a day or so then try it again.

10. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Member

Im with you Snake.I have tried 5 SG blends :cheers: :wave: :) ,and FVF is all I can tolerate.The pipe,packing,rubbing or drying doesnt make a difference.Horse poo is still horse poo,weather it be on a stick,a fork,rubbed or dried :velho:

11. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

i got ya. and if you're looking for a cheaper replacement, mcconnell scottish flake (not the scottish cake, totally different baccy). damn near identical except it lights easier. and i love ropes so let me know if you wanna trade for them. i forgot to order the stupid brown rope on my last binge anyway.

12. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Snake, let the toby "aire out", then go back to it in a few days-weeks. I got a tin of C&D Burley Flake #2 and it wreaked when freshly opened (the tin was swollen like it was gonna burst) and it smelled like a teenaged girls panties at a Jonas Bros concert! Man, did it smell ever so familiar but I sure would not want to smoke soggy panties no matter who wore them!). Strange how one never forgets a smell...... :cheers: Anyway, moving right along, I went ahead and fired up a bowl the next day (first bowl of BF#2) and it was just plain awful. Like I was truly burning those panties in my bowl! Yechkkk! I'd considered making note of it and not buying anymore of it. Well, I came back to it ~4 weeks later............ it was a totally different experience. I liked it so much that I ended getting a pound of it! No, it didn't smell/taste like "damp teenage girls panties", it was quite good. Nice n'nutty sweet. Smooth & rich. Hopefully your experience will be similar. Let it sit and aire out, or "off gas" I guess.

I know there are many on PSF that will gladly trade you for it. Hope it doesn't have to come to that.

:wave:
    Ed Puff!

13. Snake

Thanks, gents. As mentioned ....somewhere... I will give these
    another go in different pipes. I have yet to open the tins of:

BBF
    Kendal Cream &
    FVF

Interesting how the Orlik GS worked brilliantly right from the
    freshly opened tin, but I digress....

dp

14. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I tried Grousemoore and squad leader .... took my head off and I've been leary to try them since ...and that was in the late 90's I believe . Guess I should try them soon being that so many here " gush " over them . TAD comming this friday for me .... Oh yeah

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.