Sour Baccy!

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by SBritton, Jul 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SBritton

SBritton Member

I need help from my fellow smoking brothers. Every baccy I smoke is too sour for me all the sudden. This has been going on a couple of weeks and I need a cure! Baccies that are too sour all the sudden.

Carter Hall
    Prince Albert
    Raspberry & Cream
    Captain Black White
    BBF

This is absolute driving me mad! I have switch and reamed every pipe I have, I have tried to rinse with strong alcohol and brush my teeth several times. Are there any suggestions amongst those who have traveled this path?

Thanks for any help!

2. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

You have mouth ulcers? (I assume whitish patches in your mouth, on your throat, etc). Another member here had this, and I believe gargling salt water, and unfortunately, time, were the cure.

3. SBritton

SBritton Member

I do not feel anything different with my mouth. But I will look into that. Do those hurt? Can you see those?

4. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Those are all mainly burley blends . I'd say smoke some Va . The brighter ones as opposed to the dark fermented . OGS and the like are pretty straight forward and sometimes makes my mouth water a bit . Heck , I dont know .... just get away from burley for a bit

5. SBritton

SBritton Member

What is a good local blend I can scrape up? What I mean, a good OTC?

6. yinyang

I believe yes to both questions. Assuming it's in line of sight. I had one back in the day...felt like I was stabbed with a hot poker. That member isn't here anymore to ask, but I think he didn't feel pain. Since I can't say what it is or isn't for you, I figured I bring it up. I know a guy with 'dry socket' who says everything (food, drink) tastes wrong.

I would suggest other blends, if only cuz maybe you're psychologically projecting yichiness on them. It apparently isn't a burley thing, since you list BBF.

7. SBritton

SBritton Member

You may have a good point mate. I am going mad here! Wait, I have some Latakia. Maybe I should give that a round and see what it does. Any ideas?

8. yinyang

Skandenavik Full Aroma is golden cavendish(VA based, I think?). It is a Danish veined tobacco, and pouches should be found possibly in ciggy stores. It isn't much like those you've listed, and therefore maybe worth a shot. Another thought is maybe you are inadvertently translating sweet with sour? Might be better if you smoke a blend that is incredibly not sweet...Five Bros.?

9. SBritton

SBritton Member

I have some of that and generally hate it, but, you may have hit the nail on the head. I am going to give some h/h a try.

10. yinyang

Latakia...blending Latakia? Dunno...maybe. Most Lat blends are mildly sweet, but then again, they are so different that their sheer difference from your earlier list might make them/it just the ticket.

11. yinyang

Good luck...hopefully it is just a temporary issue.

12. SBritton

SBritton Member

I pray that you are right mate! I really do. This is driving me bonkers...

13. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I take it BBF is best brown flake and not big breasted females . PS LTF ? Got any ? I'd try that

14. SBritton

SBritton Member

Ok, I grabbed some CBG and it seemed to do the trick!

15. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Glad it worked Sean! When certain blends start tasting sort of flat to worse for me, I move to nearly the opposite of the board and can find some "ahhhhhhhhhh, there it is" moments. Usually I don't experience this or often at all but when it does, it does indeed drive you batty! It does me. When FVF isn't tastin' goo-ood, I know something like Private Stock or Junkyard Dog will! Tastes change, and are evolving with every swallow so it seems.

Ed
    Puff

16. SBritton

SBritton Member

On one hand the baccy tasting nasty sucks. But on the other hand... you have more fingers. No but really. You get a chance to experience some forgotten baccies in a new way!

17. Degenetron

Degenetron Member

Im curious. what kinda sour do you mean?

Lately i've had the sensation of having eaten some fizzy powder in my mouth after smoking a couple pipes back to back

It honestly feels on my tongue like i have eaten that kinda carbonating powder some kids kandy has..

18. Degenetron

Degenetron Member

it usually comes along when i smoke Erinmore flake or Escudo.. i don't really care about erinmore, but the escudo part bothers me.. I like that tobacco.
    In conflict with your experience though, burleys like RLP-6 seem to be ok. They give a hint of it, but somehow manage to overpower it

19. SBritton

SBritton Member

It is a nasty, have not brushed teeth, sour and that feeling you are talking about is called 'Hairy Tongue'. At least my gramps calls it that. Official Terminology?

20. Rewster66

Rewster66 Active Member

It appears you have the greatly feared "Black Tongue"! It is a dreaded disease thought to have originated from actually smoking Paladin but has crossed over into other blends and spread through the pipe smoking community. It is akin to the Ebola Virus that eats human tissue, which the origin is not definitively known but it is thought to have started by those who come in contact with the smoke from Borkum Riff. I would suggest you cease smoking immediately and distribute all your tobacco to PSF members for proper disposal and chew as much gum as possible and keep a steady diet of Tic Tacs on hand. It has been nice knowing you.

Sincerely Dr. Rewster66 - A humble servant to humanity.

P.S. There will be no fees accredited to you seeing that your a short timer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.