1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Sour / dry / choking smoke after relighting

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by kormosendre, May 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kormosendre

kormosendre Member

There's something I have noticed on a few occasions now, and don't quite understand the cause — suppose I let my pipe go out, tinker for some 20 minutes and get back to smoking and then relight. The taste is suddenly sour, the smoke is choking, feels as if I were inhaling ashes. It completely ruins the whole thing, I usually just go and dump when this happens.

Not sure if tobacco is relevant — smoking Danis Black Vanilla at the moment.

Any ideas on why this is happening and how it could be prevented?

edit: Could I ask a moderator to move this thread to the "Pipe Smoking Advice" forum?

2. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

A lot of aromatic blends cause this, and the tobacco you're smoking sounds like an aromatic. The heavier the casing, the worse this phenomenon becomes, in my experience. Some burleys have this issue as well, but don't exhibit it nearly as badly. There are tobaccos that simply don't appreciate going cold and then being relit.

If I'm smoking an aromatic and the pipe goes out, I relight it quickly and this sour/bitter/ashy thing isn't as bad. But a lot of aromatic blends are all about the flavoring and less about the tobacco itself. Such tobacco doesn't always behave as we would like.

Try switching to a drier, less flavored tobacco and see if you have the same issue.

Stonewall and cobbsmoker like this.
  3. kormosendre

kormosendre Member

Thanks. Are there any recommendations, blends that I should look for? I never really smoked non-aromatic blends.

4. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Dunhill Flake, Mac Baren or McClelland Navy, McClelland Frog Morton, Presbyterian Mixture. None of these are overwhelming, but all are a bit more towards "tobacco" taste.

FlatbushPaul and cobbsmoker like this.
  5. dmkerr

I usually recommend McClellands #5100 Red Cake as a non-aromatic first step for aromatic smokers. It has a nice light natural sweetness but no heavy casing. Tastes like sweetened tobacco. Comes in a similar cut to most aros, easy to load. It won't have nearly as pronounced a sweetness but it also won't go bitter on you down the bowl or if you relight it later. Plus it's a bulk blend and it's relatively inexpensive.

6. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

McCellands #2000 is a good choice, too.

7. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

+1 :th1:

8. dmkerr

I thought about that one. Flavor-wise, it's probably a better choice than 5100. The cut might be problematic for someone used to a ribbon, however. But it's definitely worth a recommendation if its rubbed out carefully.

Stonewall likes this.
  9. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

Good advice above. I would also suggest, before relighting any type of tobacco that's been out for a while, blow gently through the stem to reduce the amount of stale smoke. For aros or moist tobacco, I've also seen benefit from running a pipe cleaner down the stem to soak up any cold, sour moisture.

Stonewall likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.