Sour

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Tas Gunsmith, Aug 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tas Gunsmith

Tas Gunsmith Member

I have been enjoying Frog Morton lately and then decided to have some Petersons Connessuers Choice for a change and noticed a distinct sour flavor to the Petersons.... Any ideas?
    I thought this maybe a particular of aromatics?

2. Rugbysh9

Rugbysh9 Active Member

Never smoked PCC but I'm going to go out on a limb and say the FM ghosted your bowl. Not sure what you locally, but I have always used Prince Albert (and more recently 5 Bros.) to smoke out a ghost. Basically a pure tobacco almost bland kind of taste to ward off the ghost the last blend left behind.

However Tas...I do believe you should REALLY know what this means...you need... :welcome: ...more pipes

3. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Member

I bought a tin of CC one time because of how everyone praised the blend.It was horrible.I went onto the pipesmokers forum that I was a member of at that time,and posted my thoughts on CC,and was banned from the site. :groucho:

4. Tas Gunsmith

Tas Gunsmith Member

Luv more pipes, but alas no, I get this in more than one pipe and have had it before but can't put my finger on it.

5. Tas Gunsmith

Tas Gunsmith Member

Maybe it is shyt...
    Or maybe it's the appreciation of something better. Maybe the pallet is changing for the better thanks to all the advice here and the suggestion to try something different. I have always thought you needed an aromatic for aroma and flavor and over the years have always been disappointed. Now I think I am coming to realize that you don't need an aromatic for this. mmmmmm......thinking........

6. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Tobaccos (some) do "clash" when smoking different toby in the same bowl. Usually a burley or va will straighten it out with a few (to several) bowls smoked through the "ghosted" pipe. Just another reason to have several pipes and even further, pipes dedicated to types of blends and at the furthest extreme, a separate pipe dedicated to a specific 'baccy. You pick how luxurious you wish to be.

Some tobaccos also have somewhat of a "sour" finish, at the bottom of the bowl where everything is concentrated and melded for the final few puffs. I've noticed this with burleys. I expect it and it's no surprise. It tells me when things are about to end.

:groucho:
    Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

7. Mike Pomery

Mike Pomery Active Member

I have whore pipes who can take a ride with any old tobacco (Meers and Cobs)

I have my courtesans who only service particular families, and would feint at a Virginian stuffing their English bowls with his sweetened ways (Briars).

And a few loyalists who will only see the one gentleman for as long as they are in my service (Briars again).

Of course, there is always 5 Brothers for the less dramatic among us.

8. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

CC does not taste at it's best in a latakia-tainted bowl, by any means. I will say however, that the last few bowls I had of it, out of a tin from maybe a year ago, were just not very good. Sour as you described, and I wonder if there's a funny batch floating around or what.

In my experience, the most "flavorful" tobaccos are things like squadron leader, british woods, presbyterian, that kind of thing - medium english blends with a good chunk of orientals in em.

9. Tas Gunsmith

Tas Gunsmith Member

Thanks for the advice.
    The tin was over two years old.
    Come to think of it, the sourness or maybe it's more of a bitterness, is more at the bottom of the bowl. Maybe it's where all the casing juices end up with condensate, tar and gunk. Probably an aro thing.
    All my extra pipes are in storage as we are about to move but once settled my plan is a nice wall rack with pipes dedicated to different tobacco types and a cupboard under for all the blends you guys recommend.

10. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

Better get a *B*I*G* cupboard then! LOL

11. tsgourley

tsgourley Member

Yeah no kidding, get a big cupboard. Seriously, most of my tobacco purchases have been based on reviews and people's suggestions here and holy CRAP my "cellar" is overflowing. I can't smoke it fast enough! ;p

Back on topic, definitely try the CC again a few times in different pipes. You may find one it really responds well to, or you may find that it is just a "meh" blend with a consistent sour finish. One man's trash is another man's treasure, so they say. Me, for example, I don't really like Lane 1-Q, but lots of people swear that it is the bee's knees.

12. Sweatsack

Sweatsack Member

FWIW, I get much more flavor out of VA's than aro's.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.