1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

South Africa

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Hothog, Feb 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hothog

Hothog Member

Whenever I pull out my pipe with my Harley friends everyone reminices on what pipes they used to smoke and how they like the aroma, but its hard to find a current smoker. The only pipe smoking friends are on the net. Thank goodness for the net.

2. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

Sadly it's just a sign of the times, last week I spoke to an old gentleman with a battered, and well coloured meerschaum - the first pipeman I'd seen for six months - in my town.
    Cheers, OT

3. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

I propose you start the South Africa Oompaulers & Calabash Society to preserve and promote the heritage.

There may be more out there than you think.

Meantime, nice to have you here.

4. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

Don't feel bad. I remember the last time I saw anyone smoking a pipe, and it was eleven years ago. Makes me wonder where all those pipes on Ebay are going.

5. Traderbob

Traderbob Member

I know what you mean. I was pulling out of a parking lot last week (smoking my pipe) when a guy pulled in in a pick up smoking his pipe. I caused a small traffic jam as I tried to stop and wave my pipe at him in a salute!

Happy smoking.

6. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

I rarely see pipesmokers in my area. Even the B&M's are full of cigar smokers - nary a pipeman in sight!

But I'll never forget the time I was traveling on I-74 into central Illinois smoking my pipe when the car next to me honked and the passenger held up a tin of Dunhill Standard Mix (couldn't tell if it was Medium or Mild) and we exchanged thumbs up. Those occasions are so rare, it's hard to forget them when they do occur.

7. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

Sasquatch woulda flipped him the bird for anything less than Presbyterian Mixture.

jpberg likes this.
  8. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

LOL, I agree. I saw a guy walking across a street in downtown Gruene with a pipe sticking out of his mouth, and a wisp of smoke curling upwards. My wife picked on me because I made such a big deal about it. I wanted say hi, but didn't have quick access to my pipe, and thought I might get a mean look. :whistle:

9. Hothog

Hothog Member

Good one, Oom Paul and Calabash are available from the few pipe-makers here. Try "www.pietenpauw.co.za" and "www.ebenhart.co.za"

10. ZuluSafari

ZuluSafari Member

I am not in SA anymore, but I lived in KwaZulu-Natal for a year. Does that count?

I was really struck by your topic starter, as I was enjoying a briar full of Blue Train, reminiscing about my time in South Africa, and all the memories the tobacco was returning.

Cheers!

11. pipesmoker

pipesmoker New Member

Hey guys

Seems like I'm the only pipe smoker in the country. I'm trying to bring together the pipe smoking community of South Africa, so i started a south african pipe smokers forum to remedy the problem. Please join and invite all your south african pipe smoking friends so we can get the forum started.
    www.pipesmokersforum.co.za
    Thanks!

12. DoverPipes

DoverPipes Member

PM me. There are a bunch of fellas in RSA!
    Where are you located?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.