Speaking Of 1792

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by CarlBC, May 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CarlBC

CarlBC Member

So tonight I cracked open my very first tin of 1792. The flakes were dark and quite sticky for a flake. I rather expected that from other folks' descriptions and because I knew the flake was heavily cased. The aroma is very dense in the can -- vanilla-like, with herbal notes and a reminiscence of chocolate in the undertone, although there is no chocolate flavoring in it of which I'm aware. I've used tonka beans for making incense before, so that's pretty much what it smelled like to me, adding that unusual chocolate-smoothness.

[attachment=615:1792.jpg] [attachment=616:1792 b.jpg]

I rubbed out a very small amount and decided to go slowly. I learn a lot by reading, like in the High Nicotine Tobaccos thread, so I didn't want to experience Green-Face Syndrome (that's GFS, for you folks collecting abbreviations). I did set out the rubbings for about an hour to dry a bit. It got a little drier, but the tobacco still had an oily feel, if that makes sense to those of you who know this blend. I packed my little King's Cross featherweight Prince fairly loose, and lit up. It lit fairly well with my lighting two matches. This tobacco makes no pretense of its presence! Upon the third or fourth lighting puff, my mouth was filled with good tobacco flavor and a load of tonquin flavor and aroma.

Tonquin as a flavoring agent doesn't really create what I would call an aromatic tobacco, as the sweetness of this blend really comes from the leaf. (The one time I nibbled on a tonka bean to experience its characteristics was the time I swore it would be the last time I nibbled on a tonka bean! Rather bitter, and it didn't taste quite like it smelled.) This smoke is very smooth, and the predominant flavor is quality VA leaf and, of course, tonquin. However, the combination of leaf & bean extract make this an exponentially better experience than my bean-nibbling ever was!

Here I must say that I am not comfortable with heavy Vitamin N dosing. I like it subtly, and that's what the small pipe afforded me. I do not think I could manage anything larger than a medium-sized bowl of this blend, and then I would smoke it very, very slowly.

It didn't burn hot, it didn't make me dizzier than my usual self, and the flavor was enjoyable, if a tad dense on the tonquin. I enjoyed it. It may, after I have tried it some more, make it to my regular lineup. I think it would go very well with an expresso. I will need to smoke more and see... :puffy:

:thumbsup:
    -- Carl

2. Rugbysh9

Rugbysh9 Active Member

After breathing for a short while that heavy tonquin scent/taste seems ti dissapate a bunch

glad you tried it and liked it.

3. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator Moderator

Excellent review of a 1792 experience.

4. Unforgivin

Unforgivin Active Member

Good job! :whistle: This is on my list of "Try before you die" tobaccos.

5. CarlBC

CarlBC Member

Thank you, fellows. I'm happy you enjoyed my rather lengthy tale of 1792! :cheers:

I do want to add this caveat to my review: I believe if you enjoy this blend you should dedicate a pipe, or series of pipes, to this tobacco alone. It seems to me that it would take a tremendous effort to remove any tonquin ghosting from a pipe in which you did not wish to experience that flavor. And conversely, if you really enjoy this tobacco, dedicated pipes would, in my opinion, only enhance the experience over time.

:whistle:
    -- Carl

6. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

added to my list as well [​IMG]

7. The German Shepherd

The German Shepherd Member

Definitely one of those must try blends. Seems to me to be one of those "love it or hate it" blends as well. Thanks for the review. Well done!

Jay

8. Oglethorpe

Oglethorpe Active Member

I have a 1792 pipe. It's an il Ceppo with a pretty cavernous bowl. I try to rub some flakes for smoking but pretty regularly just fold/twist them in there. Some shake on top helps with lighting.

1792 is truly unlike any other tobacco that I've ever tried and I've tried quite a few. It's one of my favorites and I have about a pound of it on hand at any given time.

Cheers!

9. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

Thanks for an excellent review, Carl!

I think there was some 1792 in the FNG taster pack...

Bri2k

10. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Thanks for a really informative review - it's notoriously difficult to describe tastes and you've done brilliantly.

Yup, it's added to my list too!

Thanks again

Gerry

11. Oglethorpe

Oglethorpe Active Member

Aye, there was! What did you think?

12. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

I enjoyed it but I had a devil of a time keeping it lit even though it dried for a day before I smoked it. 1792 has an excellent Vitamin N kick!

Many thanks again, Mr Oglethorpe! There were some real gems in that FNG pack!

Bri2k

13. Wydeboi

Wydeboi Member

Now if we could only find some.

Great review. Thanks.

14. CarlBC

CarlBC Member

Well, after smoking about half a tin of 1792, I can now say that while I find it passable, it really isn't a prize winner for my taste buds. It's nice, and I'll probably keep a tin for a change of pace, but it isn't going to be a go-to blend for me. It also seems to be rather hit or miss when it comes to staying lit. The first two bowls I had were just fine, but then 1792 seemed to get finicky with the fire. :dunno:

So, that being said, I now have two extra tins I'll be mentioning in the Trade thread. :groucho:

:goodjob:
    -- Carl

15. Philthy

Philthy Member

Carl, PM Sent ref 1792

16. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

carl, pm sent

17. Rugbysh9

Rugbysh9 Active Member

Damn Carl, 2 offers in sub 4 hours! :thumbsu:

Thread Status: