1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Speaking of estate Dunhills...

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Tony Malerich, Oct 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tony Malerich

Tony Malerich Sales Account

I was not quite so lucky as ShilohHollow's Dunhill on a dime, but I think I did pretty darn well on this one! I picked this estate Dunhill up. I had very little information on it besides it being a root briar bulldog, and I'd guess maybe a group...2? Maybe?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It really looks to have been a well loved pipe. Probably older, or at the very least well used -- yet gently/carefully so. Aside from the dot, the stem looked to be in remarkably good shape with little to no chatter. The bowl was well caked but did not appear to have ever been over reamed. It certainly got buffed regularly as nearly all the nomenclature is gone and the stem is noticeably smaller than the shank now. A proper resto was beyond my capabilities so I sent it off to Walker Briar Works. He seems to forecast getting to projects more slowly JUST IN CASE, but thus far he's always gotten to them quicker than originally stated. I was thrilled to crack open the priority mail box today, a good two weeks sooner than I'd expected. This is what I got...

[​IMG]

Well, none of the tobacco. I just added that for decor. This side of the pipe has a lot of birdseye, the other is mixed. Still very nice to look at it! It's a cute little 5 1/4" and just about 35 grams. I've been wanting more small pipes and this really fits the bill! Still has a pretty generous chamber for its size, but not too much. In short, I am pleased!

RTOdhner, Tsal, Jussto and 10 others like this.
  2. MikeInMaine

MikeInMaine Well-Known Member

Very nice score! Should give you plenty more years of smoking.

3. muddler

muddler Active Member

Wow, that came out well! Good eye for picking a pipe that would restore so well.

4. WAMPipe13

WAMPipe13 Member

Nice looking dog.

5. Tony Malerich

At the suggestion of a member of another forum, I double checked what could be made out of the nomenclature... and this does indeed seem to be a "PO" shape bulldog which is particularly cool. Wish I could get an age on this! Ah, well.

6. AussieTX

AussieTX Active Member

Great looking pipe! If you check out dunhill on pipedia there is a page telling you how to date it.

7. Tony Malerich

It's not that I couldn't figure it out with said charts, it's that the pipe has been buffed so much that most of the stamping is no longer legible. I can barely make out the shape and the fact that it's a Dunhill root briar. Sadly anything that would be useful for dating are long gone. Thank you though :)

8. dwaugh

dwaugh Moderator Moderator

This may sound strange, but try wetting the spot where the nomenclature should be. The fibers that have been stamped will be broken, and may take on more water and darken some. This worked for one pipe that was "over buffed".

Jussto, shadow and WrightwoodJohn like this.
  9. AussieTX

AussieTX Active Member

That.... Sucks.... Well at least it leaves a mystery.

10. Johnny

Johnny Member

Nice score Tony! The restoration job is excellent as well

11. Tony Malerich

I was wondering if there was a way to do a charcoal rubbing on a pipe stem... seemed a bit too fine for that, though! I like this idea, thank you, I will have to at least give it a try.

12. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

Wow! I've debating on where to send a couple of my pipes in need of some restoration. They really did a good job on that pipe. I hear Norwoods does well too. Maybe I'll send one to each for comparison.

Would you mind if I asked how much that cost you?

Great looking pipe. Congrats!

13. Tony Malerich

The pipe was $40 and then WBW was $18 for the "clean, ream, buff, and polish," $10 to replace the dot and then his flat $6 priority shipping.

Raffxr7 likes this.
  14. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

Wow! Thats pretty damn reasonable for those results. I need to get a couple of pipes out to Dave in the near future.

Thanks!

15. WrightwoodJohn

WrightwoodJohn Wrightwood expatriate

Well done Tony. Great way to pick up a nice Dunhill reasonably priced. Looks great !!

16. ShilohHollow

ShilohHollow Active Member

Wow! That's a great looking Dunhill! To be completely honest I like your pipe better than any of the Dunhill's I've had. Very nice shape. Have you smoked it yet?

17. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Somebody's old friend is now your new friend, someday to become your old friend. :)

Nice score! :th1:

WrightwoodJohn and Tony Malerich like this.
  18. furious

furious Junque collector

Nice estate Dunnie. No doubt will give you many years of happy smoking.

19. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Nice lookin pipe ! Damn good score

20. Tony Malerich

I snagged it originally because it looked to be a good, restorable Dunhill for a good price, but yeah, the more I look at it and hold it the more the shape is just SPOT ON. It's like it's exactly what I wanted and I didn't even realize that! Based on pictures, descriptions, and what I can make out of the nomenclature I'm almost certain it's a PO which is apparently a rare shape. The O is a straight bulldog, the P closer to a half bent, and then the PO is basically a straight shank with an 1/8 bent stem (rather like a nice prince... but a bulldog instead!). You may well have known that anyway, but I'm excited and thus am rambling.

The chamber is, I think, about as generous as it could be while still having decently thick walls (but still not "too big" for my generally shorter smokes... about 3/4" x 1 1/4"). I smoked one bowl of MacB Dark Twist. I didn't pack very well, but the pipe smoked it as best it could given my lousy job. I'm going to try again this morning, and will make sure I do it right this time!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.