1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

spigot whats the use ?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by David Emond, Oct 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David Emond

David Emond Active Member

Hi everyone,

Are spigots only for visuals or does it give a certain benifit ?

2. Prof

Prof Member

My understanding is that they were developed for practical reasons, called military mounts, they allowed the disassembly of a pipe even when they were hot, without damage to the stem or stummel. Once broken down they could be stuffed into a pocket and carried without harm...

phinz and David Emond like this.
  3. Old Codger

Old Codger Well-Known Member

The only reason I've heard is that soldiers originally used shell casings to replace broken stems and that evolved in to what is now called a spigot.

Morse and David Emond like this.
  4. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

It seems the only difference in a spigot and a basic military mount is that the bottom of a spigot's stem is encased in precious metal such as silver. I don't see any practical purpose for the silver so I suppose it is only to make the pipe fancy and more expensive.

David Emond likes this.
  5. Prof

Prof Member

I find my silver wrapped spigots to be tighter fitting than the straight non capped military mounts, don't you?

Of course I would think military mounts would be easier to produce then tenons, too, right?

David Emond likes this.
  6. phinz

phinz Active Member

I have one gold spigot. I hardly ever smoke it since I don't like shape of the bowl on it. That said, it fits together nicely.

7. Old Codger

Old Codger Well-Known Member

One Peterson Silver Spigot I bought over 30 years ago is still one of my favourites. I don't know if the spigot has anything to do with it or if it's just that it's a very well made pipe that never gurgles or has any other bad habits.

8. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

Don't know how practical they are, but I'll take one of the Les Wood variation anyday!

shadow likes this.
  9. Rewster66

Rewster66 Active Member

Simple, I use them to turn the water on and off. [​IMG]

:ohyh:

Skrymr, Ol Brokedik, Raffxr7 and 2 others like this.
  10. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

That's why you get paid the big bucks.

Skrymr and Rewster66 like this.
  11. user2725

user2725 Active Member

Durability.

12. upinsmoke

upinsmoke Member

A spigot permits quickly and safely removing the stem for cleaning during and after the smoke. It also will help hold the end of the shaft together in case of cracking. The drawback (there always is a drawback) is that the pipe may fall off the stem and crash. This has only happened to me once, but it prevents me from smoking a spigot in the street because the pipe could be seriously damaged by a fall to the concrete.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.