1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Spilled Clean and Cure on pipe stem

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by user2453, Feb 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. user2453

user2453 Member

I did a cleaning on my pipe today and while I was running a bristle pipe cleaner dipped in clean and cure pipe sweetener through the stem, guess what it discolored it in spots. I didn't think clean and cure would do this but it did. Is there any way to fix my stem or find a new one? The pipe is the stanwell royal. It is on the underside of the stem so not too visible but quite a downer, that was a new pipe to me. I don't want this to happen every time I clean my pipes which I have started to do about every 10 or so bowls.

Here was my method and it has been described here many times so I don't know how this happened. Dipped a bristle pipe cleaner in clean and cure and ran it through the stem. This was a bit tricky because the pipe cleaner was damp on one end and had to get through a bent stem. This is where the mess happened.
    Run a dry bristle PC through stem.
    Fold a bristle pipe cleaner dipped in clean and cure and swab out shank.
    Repeat with dry bristle PC
    Dip shank brush in Clean and Cure and brush out shank
    Repeat the process of wet bristle pipe cleaners followed by dry ones until they came out clean.
    Pipe is nice and clean now but I think I ruined the resale value of an excellent pipe:(

2. dwaugh

dwaugh Moderator Moderator

I'm sure your stem is fine. The cleaning fluid probably just removed some of the wax or oil that was present. Is the stem vulcanite? -David

3. user2453

user2453 Member

I dont know. But it is now a brown color instead of black

4. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

A question - why are you cleaning your pipes so often? I'm not being a wise arse, I just think you may be over doing it. As to your question, I think David is correct (again - what a smarty pants), it's probably nothing that a buff and wax won't restore.

5. user2453

user2453 Member

I read about 10 bowls and it should be cleaned. Maybe I was misled. What kind of wax?

6. Hawkwood

Hawkwood Member

It must be vulcanite as I don't think lucite would discolour. Any of the commercial polishes should take care of it. Even just some spit on a soft cloth may help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.