1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Squadron Leader room note

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by David Emond, Jul 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David Emond

David Emond Active Member

Hi everyone,
    at the same time of joining this site I did a huge tobacco buy and I got a tin of SL. I jared it but I never tried it yet. Since I smoke with people around, i was wondering what people say when you guys smoke it? are the comments negative or positive?

2. SouthBound

SouthBound Active Member

My wife usually asks, "Can you go over there to smoke that?" and points to the other side of the deck.

David Emond and Kiowapipe like this.
  3. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

It's an Oriental-forward latakia blend. It will smell a bit rich, exotic, and smokey. Some people like the aroma, others do not. I've heard latakia compared to woodfires and incense, but also to burning plastic. Some will love the smell, others will hate it.

David Emond and Rodfather like this.
  4. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

SL seems to set the standard for English blends and it has the distinctive room note of a mixture with latakia. It's tough to predict but I would guess that non-smokers would prefer it to a cigarette or cigar but not as much as an aromatic pipe blend such as Connoisseur's Choice (even my wife doesn't complain about CC.)

David Emond likes this.
  5. DeusExMachina

DeusExMachina Member

I smoke it on the regular, and mostly get positive remarks. I've had one or two people confused, not knowing whether they like it or not. As my girlfriend put it once "You smell like a man."
    I guess the point I'm making is, it's a strong scent. Like the others above me mentioned, it seems people either love it or hate it. As for myself, it makes my mouth water. :)

David Emond likes this.
  6. cakeanddottle

cakeanddottle Member

the only tobaccos my wife has ever complained about are C&D Morley's Best ("that smells like ass"), and Ennerdale ("that makes my eyes burn")

7. David Emond

Thanks guys, im getting the urge to open that jar. I smoked some Frog in a car with other people and one said that it smelled like Cedar and the other said it smelled like rott.

8. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

I know if a pipe smoker smokes a heavy latakia blend in the cigar lounge I hang out at the "regulars" complain to the owner, go figure! LOL

David Emond and nesta like this.
  9. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Lol, I love cigars but unless I'm smoking one I'd much rather smell a good lat blend!

David Emond and Jussto like this.
  10. David Emond

would the room note be close to Peterson's old dublin? I have a tin of that too

11. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

my wife always says Latakia blends smell like 'electrical' burning! - and when I smoke some Frog, she croaks "open that damn window!" :ohyh:
    OT

David Emond and TheMadMan like this.
  12. jhe888

jhe888 Member

Smokey, campfire, peaty, leathery - for those who like it.

Old tires or an electrical fire to those who don't.

Latakia is kind of polarizing.

David Emond likes this.
  13. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

I don't know what ass smells like.

David Emond and SmokeyJoe like this.
  14. SmokeyJoe

SmokeyJoe Active Member

The room-note is a cross between Junkyard Fire and Bus Exhaust. Most non-pipe smokers will find it repulsive.

David Emond likes this.
  15. David Emond

think ill keep it away from work. ill open the jar tonight and load some in my trusty LVC meer

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.