squadron leader

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by BigJ, Mar 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigJ

BigJ Active Member

So apparently squadron leader has gone M.I.A. Has anyone heard if there is a shortage orsomething, or if it has been discontinued? I can't find it online, everyone says its out of stock with no estimated eta. Stopped by the local b&m and they didn't know anything either. Any info would be great.

2. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Is it 2011 already?

Squadron Leader has been in short supply, as have most of the Gawith blends, for .... years.

Demand outsrips supply, and there have been headaches on the production, packing, shipping and customs ends for Gawith into America.

I'd suggest you find a more readily available substitute. British Woods, Presbyterian Mixture, Legends... etc

3. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Sasquatch's suggestion to look for another, readily available substitute is probably the best thing you can do. You can sit hovering over a buy it now button online for weeks, months even before you'll see it. Even then, one sneezing fit and you may miss the next go round. Vicious cycle, that.

You could try for a trade in the trading post too...you might get lucky.

4. BigJ

BigJ Active Member

Thanks for the heads up, I'll check out some of the others

5. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

I have some in bulk that I might would trade. It is a year old and has been jarred up in Mason jars.

While it is good it isn't one I just love.

6. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

I think the problem is not just with Squadron Leader, but the whole SG (and G&H) range, I doubt very much if SL has been discontinued - and when I visit my B&M later this week, will make enquiries. As one who can buy most of their range OTC, tins or bulk with no problem - I sympathise with you guys.....seeing the size of their manufacturing works in Kendal would give a better understanding of the shortage.
    Cheers, OT

7. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

Is there a substitute for SG FireDance?

Seriously, if someone wanted to make up a SG sub list (or thread) tat would be cool! :thumbsu:

8. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

Rattray's Red Rapparee might be a suitable replacement for SL.

9. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

With the exception of a couple of various tins, I've traded away all my SG tobaccos... FVF, SL and a few others. There's so much excellent available tobacco that I can't waste time fretting about stuff that I may never find again.

10. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

The problem is we'd probably all disagree on the subs! :whistle:

I'll just say that I subbed out C&D Opening Night for FVF. They aren't the same but they're close enough.

11. JuJu McMojo

JuJu McMojo Member

I'd be willing to trade, PM if interested.

12. Flipper

Flipper New Member

A SG sub list/thread would be really cool. I agree that we'd all probably disagree but the aggregate opinions would probably show through after a while and a general consensus could probably be drawn rather easily.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.