1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

St. Bruno and Revor first impressions

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by beaupipe, Nov 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beaupipe

beaupipe Active Member

These two baccys are much on people's minds lately, given Mr. Snuff's possibly illegal decision to offer them up while at the same time accepting cc payments for US shipments. The axe will probably fall in the not-too-distant future on his little foray into pipe tobacco, as it likely will for all other online baccy sales (when, not if). Nonetheless, they're available right now for us stateside souls and I was one who leapt at the opportunity to taste these British classics for the first time. I ordered some Condor flake, too, but I'll save that for another day.

First things first: I like them both. Very much. And I say that while ignoring the 20-ish buck price tag. That's more than we pay for the average tin ordered online, but I'm originally from Canada, so anything below 30 bucks seems reasonable to me.

I picked up my package this morning at the post office and decided to leap into St. B first. It's a lovely mid-brown ready rubbed ribbon that needed a good half hour drying time under the desk lamp. It loads and packs easily and has the same basic smoking characteristics as most ribbon cut VAs. It's better sipped relatively slowly or it will turn on you.

It's the flavor of St. B, however, that gets all the press. That soap/perfume, whateveryacallit that defines so many other classic UK (and Irish) tobaccos. Personally, I find St. B to be little more than a subtle variant on more easily obtainable tobaccos like Erinmore Flake (not the Mixture) or Ennerdale. Its florals may be a little more over-the-top than Erinmore offers, though. And good heavens do they linger on the palate. Have you ever accidentally encountered the gyrating backside of an exotic dancer with your lips? And then tasted that body spray on your tongue all the way home? Welcome to St. Bruno...the Vegas lap dancer in a pouch.

Revor is wonderful, too, but I have to admit that I'd hoped it had a little more oomph. It's sweet. Very sweet, at least compared to tobaccos like G&H's Dark Flake US. To me, Revor resembles a sort of muted Dark Flake blended with some heavily stoved and sweetened VAs. It's probably a positive, because I rarely smoke a second bowl of Dark Flake in one sitting, but I'm on my third consecutive bowl of Revor. The softening of the fire cured leaf makes this more of a guzzler than an occasional treat.

OTC completists should jump on this opportunity to taste these UK classics. They're wonderful things. But those who aren't able to take advantage of their current easy availability should know that there are very similar tobaccos widely available on the US market.

Mark w4mms and Lestrade like this.
  2. Ken Mays

Ken Mays Member

I've got most of a tin left of some St. Bruno that I bought about 12 years ago. I keep wanting to smoke some more of it, but I can't decide which pipe is going to be sacrificed to the casing gods. Maybe I can dedicate a corncob to it.

3. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

Thanks beaupipe!

4. user1975

user1975 Active Member

Haven't tried St. Bruno yet, but I loves me some Revor!

5. Iain

Iain Active Member

No I can't say that I have:xd:

I have to say though that I've never encountered that 'perfume' taste with St Bruno, It's definitely there in G&H blends and i hate it with a passion but St Bruno always just tasted like no nonsense VA to me. That being said it's a while since I last tried it, I'll have to get some and see if it's how I remember it.

6. Nate

Nate Member

Beaupipe, have you tried the St. Brüno Flake? I haven't tapped into mine yet, only had the ready rubbed.

7. beaupipe

beaupipe Active Member

Not yet, unfortunately.

8. Nate

Nate Member

Ok, I was just curious of your thoughts. I have heard it is far better than the rr.

9. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

I like Revor better than Bruno (so far)

Mark w4mms likes this.
  10. Iain

Iain Active Member

I've been smoking St Bruno almost exclusively now for 3 days and I haven't come across any added flavouring, looking on Tobacco Reviews most people are giving the flavouring a rating of mild or very mild so maybe I'm only just missing it, it's a damn good, strong smoke anyway, YMMV of course.

Old Ted likes this.
  11. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

St Bruno is great stuff, but to me the flavoring is pretty noticible, though at a mild-medium level. I find it significantly less floral than smokes like Ennerdale. It reminds me more of GH Best Brown #2 with the floral qualities toned down just a little bit and a mild fruitiness added. Still, nothing so strong that the quality tobacco won't still shine through :)

Very interested in Revor Plug, but the time has not come for me to smoke it. I'd like to see it made available in the US somewhere that I know of

12. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

13. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

I've got both here, and find myself reaching for the flake over the r/r. I think the floral is more muted in the flake, and the Va seems to shine. I've smoked the flake as fold-n-stuff and as a crumble cake. Both ways seem to work well for me.
    Not had Revor.................

14. Nate

Nate Member

Just opened the Bruno Flake last week, and I have to say as is the case with many flakes, it is far better than the rr. Really enjoying it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.