1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

stain question

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by David Emond, Feb 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David Emond

David Emond Active Member

So i noticed that there is a black stain that started to form around the rim of my pipe more toward the back of the rim were the stem is. I took some wet wipes and it actually removed the blackness but there was some browning red stain on the wetwipe also. Is this bad for the stain, id like to continue to do this after a smoke if possible.

2. user2428

user2428 Active Member

If the wet wipe has any form of alchol content, it may be an issue. I use denatured alcohol to thin the leather dye stain on my pipes.

3. David Emond

yeah they do, ill stop using them, i would not want to remove the pipe stain completely. I guess the black stains on the rims are just part of pipe smoking.

4. user2428

user2428 Active Member

Its most likely tar, tannins, and soot or whatnot. If it wipes off its not burnt briar. Im sure there are some pipe bowl cleaners that are sold that are gentle on pipes...maybe just a damped soap and water rag...

David Emond likes this.
  5. Darkly

Darkly Active Member

Actually, yesterday I spent the better part of an hour cleaning the top rims of my briars until I could literally see the grain and finish on them again. Its a bit of a pita, but it tooks spit, thumb, spit on a cloth, and then a dry clean buffing cloth.. Took a little bit of work, but made them look almost good as new.

Hawkwood and David Emond like this.
  6. David Emond

yuppers it wiped off easy, thanks Archer and Darkly :) ill try your suggestions next time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.