1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Stanwell Antique refurb.

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by ShilohHollow, Jul 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ShilohHollow

ShilohHollow Anchors Aweigh

I got this pipe on eBay earlier this year and due to time, work and life just wound up watching it sit on the work bench till the past week. I threw in a low bid and got it for around $20. When it first came in I remember thinking it wasn't too bad, but man oh man did the previous owner loooove english blends. This thing smelled so bad you could literally smell it from 20 feet away clean across the shop. It took 3 salt/alcohol treatments, but I finally got it smelling neutral and tonight was able to work on the stem which didn't need too much work either. Turned out pretty nice. Too bad I don't have a camera at the moment so these cell phone pictures will have to do.

Before:
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Nate

Nate Member

Nice restoration!!

3. Vaquero

Vaquero Member

Beautiful! I bet it smokes awesome too, which is the most important part. Nice pipe!

4. Basil Meadows

Basil Meadows Active Member

Very nice! Should smoke great!

5. Bear84

Bear84 Member

Beauty!

6. irish2fish

irish2fish Active Member

Great Job!! :th1:

7. Hudson

Hudson Member

Whew, saved another one from almost certain death by oxidation. Good catch.

8. MikeyJ

MikeyJ Member

I'd call that a good score! I'm gonna have to start watching ebay a little closer. It seems like folks are getting some 'smokin' deals out there! I'm a little jealous of that pipe, actually. If it smokes as good as it looks, you've got a winner!

9. WrightwoodJohn

WrightwoodJohn Wrightwood expatriate

Nice work, nice pipe!

10. SmokeyJoe

SmokeyJoe Active Member

Nicely done! And what a steal. I've never come close to a Stanwell for $20 on ebay. Grrrrrrrr:mad:

11. ShilohHollow

ShilohHollow Anchors Aweigh

The smoking deals are getting fewer and farther between than they used to be, but they can still be a had with a little patience.

I haven't smoked it yet, but I hope to get a few bowls in this weekend. Maybe some better pictures too.

12. HighNightFlyer

HighNightFlyer New Member

Wow that pipe is a real beauty. The first pipe I bought was a stanwell, or rather the first pipe I bought worth smoking was a stanwell and it was well over 20 bucks and nowhere near as good looking. Puss that extra bit of elbow grease you put into its got to make it all the more special. I hope it smokes as good as it looks. Congrads on a great deal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.