1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Stanwell

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Hawkwood, Apr 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hawkwood

Hawkwood Member

A couple of years ago I remember hearing a rumour on a forum that Stanwell was moving production out of Denmark. Does anyone know if this happened and what the status of Stanwell is now? I always thought they were a good pipe for the money.

2. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

They are now made in Italy; but not all etailers and retailers designate them as such. I only have one Stanwell, and it is a great smoker - it has "Made in Denmark" or something to that effect stamped on it, though. I don't know if the quality has changed at all since they have moved their production out of Denmark. They look identical, so who knows. My guess is they're probably still a good value, but I've got nothing to base that on. I would like to know as well!

3. gunsmoke

gunsmoke Member

All my Stanwells are Danish made. They are solid pipes & a very good value. I haven't herd anything either way about quality since the move. I would think no news is good news.

4. Steve Dennis

Steve Dennis Member

My one Stanwell (in my avatar) is stamped made in Denmark and I bought it last year. I heard they moved production as well and I think mine was hanging around the shop for awhile before I bought it so it is possible it was one of the last made in Denmark. This is a great smoking pipe, but I don't know if the pipes made in Italy are of the same quality.

5. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

They are now made in Italy. All my Stanwells except the bent bulldog I got a month ago are stamped "Made in Denmark" The bulldog is stamped "Designed in Denmark".

6. Hawkwood

Hawkwood Member

What do you think of the "Designed in" pipe? How does it compare with your Danish Stanwells as regards drilling, stem fit etc. I've got half a dozen Danish Stanwells and they're all well made quality pipes. I'm guessing that the move to Italy didn't compromise this as Italian pipes are also very good.

7. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

I'm very pleased with the little bent bulldog that was made in Italy. The fit, finish, briar quality, etc is as good as my Danish made Stanwells.

Hawkwood likes this.
  8. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

Was just talking to my b&m guy about Stans and looking at the "new" ones in the shop. For what it's worth, he thinks they are more consistently made now (drilling), and have better briar....

Hawkwood likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.