1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Stanwells; Danish v. Italian

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Spillproof, Jun 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

I would like some educated opinions on "new" v. "old" Stanwells.

I know that many folks are understandably upset that Stanwells are now (generally) made in Italy. Aside from the historical/emotional/personally insulting outrage you may feel, has anyone done a side-by-side comparison of the new and the old?

The only Stanwell I currently own is a "new" (italian made) pot, and it's a great little pipe. The rumors I've heard (*not here) are that the "new" Stanwell's are at least as good as the late-model Danish ones. Finish is possibly better. Briar is better. Consistency is spot-on ("run a cleaner with your eyes closed"). That sort of thing.

Keep in mind one of the largest purveyors of this rumor is my local B&M owner, and he sells Stanwells ;-)

What say you oh wise ones??

2. SidStavros

SidStavros Active Member

I have many Danish and some Italian Stanwells. The finish is not better [has some problems] and why the "new" briar is better? The "old one" was from the same country [Italy] and Greece. The Danish pipe makers are carvers,they don't have briar in their country so they buy from other places. :)

Spillproof likes this.
  3. Spillproof

Thanks for the response Sid, and thank you for helping to dispel the gossip.
    I was not presenting those statements as true, only relating the rumors I had heard (gossip).

Thanks for the objective comparison; cheers!

4. YOJiMBO20

YOJiMBO20 Member

Can't comment on the Italian made, but I have a Made in Denmark and it's great! I think it's one of the later Danish-made. It's my only Stanwell, but hopefully not my last.

Out of the big three mid-range (Pete, Stan, and Sav) I like my Stan the best.

Jussto and Spillproof like this.
  5. SidStavros

SidStavros Active Member

Spillproof: My friend i was the first in our pipe club that i mention that "something happens" with the "new" Stanwells,i had a controversial with other member and i tried to found the truth through some people who where related with this matter. Including the production manager [has change now] some pipe stores in Denmark and Italy,a friend of mine who was working on Customs and another one in transportation. After some calls and mails and when i bought 2 of the italian i said to our forum that the "new" ones was not like the "old" ones. Meantime they say that the "new beginners" production problems have been solved but lets face the truth: They have not the "aura" of Denmark carvers.
    :sh:

jpberg, Johnny Dingo and Spillproof like this.
  6. Spillproof

Well it's a delicate subject for sure Sid, but pipe-smokers are all gentlemen, right?
    :xd:

Very cool that you investigated this. Couldn't have asked for a better responder.

7. WrightwoodJohn

WrightwoodJohn Wrightwood expatriate

It always gives one a jolt when one of the big pipe makers closes shop & moves elsewhere, Stanwell, Peterson, Dunhill. Makes you pause and want to make sure everything is still ok with not just the quality but that their heart is still in it..
    [​IMG] (disregard the img, it was a nice shot of the old Stanwell place)

8. SidStavros

SidStavros Active Member

9. shadow

shadow Active Member

Hi folks!
    My guess is that some die-hard Stanwell supporters might shun the new "Made in Italy" ones.
    We pipers are a funny lot!
    I for one wouldn't buy a Dunhill which wasn't "Made in England"!:bing:

10. SidStavros

SidStavros Active Member

As i said elsewhere. :sailor:

Spillproof likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.