Starter tobacco suggestions?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by KN092011, Feb 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KN092011

KN092011 Member

I asked a similar question last week and got some great answers; this time I'm going to change the focus and ask a slightly different question...

What starter tobaccos do you recommend for a newbie? I started with a couple of aero's and have started to form some tastes and opinions but now I want to try some from the other side, the non-aeros. I don't know enough yet to know if I like Burelys, Cavendish, English, Periques, etc.etc. because I haven't tried them yet. I've read a lot of guys suggesting to start with a mild but full flavored tobacco, so here I am.

My tastes so far are for aeros with a mild vanilla flavoring. I'm also not a huge cigar fan (not that they're same) but I have been known to enjoy the lighter, mild wrapped cigars so I'm not scared of the tobacco flavor or a little heavier nicotine but I do know that I'm not particularly fond of the "spicier" tobaccos. All that to say, I'm actually fairly open minded and willing to try anything. Thanks in advance!

2. JimInks

JimInks Well-Known Member

I agree with the suggestion of starting out with more mild or medium blends. If you like aros, then try easy to find tobaccos like Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic or Captain Black White (though I find it smokes rather harsh and really can't recommend it, but it has a vanilla flavor). If you think burleys will interest you, try SWR, and/or Carter Hall. They all come in pouches, so if you don't like them, you're not out a lot of money. If you do like them, and have the money to splurge a little, then go to Pipes and Cigars and get a sampler pack of their Hearth&Home blends. They have several burley and aro blends that you can buy in bulk to test the waters. I would suggest: Light Heart Burley, Classic Burley Kake, and Old Companion. None of these have the vanilla flavor, but they have a light to moderate sweetness that you may enjoy, and they are not as heavily cased as the drug store types I mentioned earlier.

The same advice goes for Virginia blends. Since you seem to have a sweet tooth for smoking, H&H has a few Virginias and light VaPers that can get you started: Light Heart Virginia, Marble Kake, AJ's VaPer, Rolando's Own, and Louisiana Red (the perique is tempered by the sweetness of the red Virginia). The AJ's VaPer has a little black cavendish in it, so you might like that one the most.

If you want more of the vanilla taste than the ones I've mentioned, try 1Q or Scotty's Butternut Burley.

Once you smoke the lighter stuff, I think you'll find it easier to know what direction to go in when or if you decide to try something heavier and fuller in taste, whether it be aros, burleys, or Virginias. One thing is for sure: experiment and you'll find your tastes changing before you know it! Anyway, that's my two cents worth. Others will have their own ideas to share and you may find some of them preferable to mine. Good luck!

Stonewall, ruffinogold and dBear like this.
  3. dBear

dBear Active Member

KN! What you really need to do is go over to the Trading Post sub-forum and get involved in the FNG/FOG thread. That stands for Forum New Guy/ Forum Old Guy. Read the first post to see how it works, and then post a message letting everyone know you're a New Guy looking to be matched with an Old Guy. The whole purpose of the thread is to let new guys sample a whole bunch of tobaccos without having to spend an arm and a leg. You trade something the old guy wants for a "hand selected" sample of tobaccos he puts together after finding out what you've smoked, what you like, etc. It's been working really well for everybody involved. :thu:

4. Thuber88

Thuber88 Well-Known Member

Ahhh the F is for Forum... good to know :)

5. Thuber88

Thuber88 Well-Known Member

Yes, do check out the FNG/FOG section, I have not concluded mine yet, but its a really decent deal for us new guys.
    Good luck and keep us posted as always !

dBear likes this.
  6. derrickyoung

derrickyoung Member

Agree with suggestion for the FNG trade.

Non aros that I like
    Kendall Kentucky
    P.S. LTF
    Dunhill EMP

Carter Hall is also a easy to smoke starter tobacco that I enjoyed.

Marker likes this.
  7. colorduke

colorduke Active Member

CH,PA,SWR,Half&Half and let's see what else ow yea Velvet,Granger and KY Club.

ruffinogold likes this.
  8. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

It would be tough to suggest a blend you would like but I'd make a couple of recommendations of stuff you prolly wouldn't like. If you don't want "spicey" avoid perique. You might like it later but not now. It gives blends a peppery flavor and too much of it can make a mixture harsh. You might like mixtures with a touch of latakia but it might be best to avoid lat bombs.

9. Brit abroad

Brit abroad Active Member

Thuber88 I got it wrong as well...forum.....right!....noted!

Thuber88 and derrickyoung like this.
  10. KN092011

KN092011 Member

Thanks for the responses! I guess the more appropriate question might have been what are the differences between the different tobacco types. After reading your responses and digging through some other threads I settled on Dunhill EMP and Frog Morton On the Town. Placed my order a few minutes ago, I'll let you know how it goes!

11. Graham R

Graham R Member

Two great ones.

The Hearth and Home blends from pipesandcigars are unreal value and are fantastic smokes. Like you, I went out and got some big name tins, and ended up trading most of them for H&H stuff once I found my feet.

Coastal Bend likes this.
  12. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

+ 1 with these choices !As far as getting away from Aro flavors and in the direction of Burley and some Va. Normally I haven't cared for the Hearth and Home blends so much but , as Jiminks posted ... The Old Companion blend is one to try and I triple agree ! it's damn good

JimInks likes this.
  13. Graham R

Graham R Member

I would avoid aromatics. Tongue bite is seemingly what puts people off pipes, and aros bite harder than anything. I have never got bite off a good balkan even when tearing through it hard, but an aro will bite hard at the slightest push and smoke very hot. Plus, until you are skilled at keeping it lit naturally, you have to relight quite a bit, and aros turn into a furnace when you do that.

Coastal Bend likes this.
  14. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I couldn't disagree more ... but that's what makes the world go round :th1:

15. Graham R

Graham R Member

Of course!! These are not subjects of absolute, what tastes good to one man is vile to the next, as is and should be the case with everything of taste.

ruffinogold likes this.
  16. KN092011

KN092011 Member

I went light and only got a 50g tin of each, just enough to get a full impression. Reading the description and reviews I have a feeling, and high hopes, that I will like the Frog Morton On The Town the best. I saw it repeatedly described as "almost having a vanilla flavor". Several reviewers said it was great for transitioning from aeros to non aeros. Hearth & Home has come up quite a bit also so that may be next in line.

17. Graham R

Graham R Member

I think you will like the McClelland more too. Dunhill have an immense name, but their actual product is falling consistently in quality as they change owners (and ingredients) so often that its mostly a trademark now for their tobaccos. McClelland are consistently top class across the board, I have never had anything of theirs which I found disappointing. That's why I like the H&H so much, Russ gets access to top class tobacco and innovates with it to produce great blends, Dunhill now is nothing like it used to be and the H&H takes on Dunhill blends are actually better (e.g. Sunjammer is a much better smoke than the current incarnation of Dunhill 965)

18. TWolf

TWolf Member

I'm just starting out myself so I'm in the collecting recommendations and trying things phase too. I'll leave the tobacco advice to the good folks here who know a lot more than I do. I did want to mention that if you haven't thought about it before buying tobacco in sample amounts isn't a bad way to go to try things and see what you like. WV Smokeshop is one good place for that (no affiliation, just good experience dealing with them) http://wvsmokeshop.com . Their 1 oz. samples are under $2.00. Just a thought.

19. smokinjoe

smokinjoe Member

When I first started puffing Artistik turned me on to lane 1-q. He was right .Its good.

20. JimInks

JimInks Well-Known Member

Pipes&Cigars is having a one day 20% sale on their H&H blends on Wednesday. Now's a good time to try some of them.

dBear likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.