Starter tobacco suggestions?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by KN092011, Feb 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KN092011

KN092011 Member

My wife is going to kill me, but it looks like I just might have to place another order tomorrow. If I'm going to try something, might as well get it at a discount.

jhguthlac, dBear and JimInks like this.
  2. pauljmjr

pauljmjr Member

I think you'll like the Frog Morton. All of the Frogs are qute good and a great step to something a bit more complex than Aromatics. I'd also suggest the original Frog Morton and Frog Morton Cellr.

3. KN092011

KN092011 Member

I'm stunned at the generosity of some of the members on here. I posted a question in another thread about lighters and was contacted by a well known member who is sending me a lighter to try, along with a handful of samplings of some other tobaccos! I'm excited and blown away! Here's the samplings he sending...

Kendal Kentucky
    Ennerdale
    Kajun Kake
    Frog Morton Cellar
    Penzance

I read up on some of them and I'm pretty excited about trying them! Looks like a pretty good selection to try out a variety of tobacco types!

TWolf likes this.
  4. afiaowo

afiaowo Member

I’m in way trying to dissuade you from reading and posting on the forum but I found pipedia a great way to gain a large amount of knowledge in a short time.

Welcome to the forum.

http://pipedia.org/

5. KN092011

KN092011 Member

I've used that several times to find quick answers to simple, objective questions. I use the forum more for the experience, the community, the knowledge base and to answer subjective questions, which I get the impression is what it's here for!

6. KN092011

KN092011 Member

For anyone still interested, my Frog Morton On the Town and Dunhill Early Morning Pipe came in today. Had one bowl of both so far and I really enjoyed the Frog Morton. The Dunhill is not being as nice to me, kinda biting a little but has a better room note. I think it has more moisture in it because of the way it's packed, though. I still enjoy the room note of the aeros better but I figured out a great compromise; went inside and hi jacked one of my wife's vanilla candles. Now I get a little vanilla for my nose and great tasting tobacco in my pipe! I can see why starting on non aeros is actually better, it's easier to smoke and more forgiving. I smoked the Frog Morton earlier, just finished the first bowl of the Dunhill and about to pack my last pipe with a second bowl of the Frog!

P.S. I had to google search "how to open a tobacco tin" to get into the Dunhill. Made me laugh when I figured it out.

jhguthlac and dBear like this.
  7. user2453

user2453 Member

Lol. I remember encountering the same quandary when I picked up the pipe. The first tin I opened happened to be EMP as well. I remember twisting it with force and having it open, then discovered how much help a pocket knife or a coin helped in opening tins:$

That is an excellent list of samples btw, I'm sure you will enjoy them. Best of luck!

jhguthlac likes this.
  8. jhguthlac

jhguthlac Active Member

I have a very small screw driver on my smoking table. Works well!

9. MainePipe

MainePipe Member

I too had to do some research on how to open a tobacco tin on my first tin (EMP)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.