1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Starting a collection

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by LifeOfRiley, Mar 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LifeOfRiley

LifeOfRiley Active Member

I've only recently started collecting pipes (i.e., buying more than I actually need for smoking) and have become attracted to one area in particular: house brand pipes from old American pipe & tobacco shops. For some reason, I like the idea of having a lot of different cities represented. I have a Bertram from the old D.C. store, an Iwan Ries (Chicago), and a George Yale Oom Paul from Manhattan. The next ones I'm looking are probably Middleton (Philadelphia) and Ehrlich (Boston). I realize that a lot of these won't be the nicest pipes one could buy, but these first three have been pretty good smokers (the Bertram, especially, is a champ).

Anyone know of any other historic shops, particularly from the southeast or western U.S.?

IrishRover and Motard like this.
  2. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

I've gotten a Croft's Premium Canadian. Oddly, it's not one I reach for all too often. After all, it certainly isn't the prettiest pipe I own. However, there's something just done right with it. It's the best smoker I have. When really pushed, it sometimes threatens to gurgle, but it never gets there. When I push it and it gets a little too warm, it cools off quickly. No matter how I've abused it (and I keep the cake to an absolute bare minimum) I've never had any charring or spider webbing. The grain is lousy, but it's an excellent pipe.

Near as I can tell, it was probably made for a tobacconist in Houston, which if I am not mistaken has since been purchased and renamed. I tried getting in touch with the current owners to see if they knew anything about house pipes made for the company in the past, but got no reply. No clue who made it, but it cost me all of 35 dollars in virtually unsmoked condition. If you ever come across another one for a low price like that, I'd recommend taking the gamble.

No idea how significant Croft's was, but from what I gather it was at least decently well known.

3. 1858remington

1858remington Active Member

It only takes a spark to get a fire going.

Lestrade likes this.
  4. TRAVIS

TRAVIS Member

Nice choice start a theme and most of them should be had for a reasonable price.

5. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

Truth!

6. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

You failed to mention the MM... I don't know the city, but they're all American pipes.. :)

7. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

See if you can find a Garfinkel's - an old D.C shop from the 1970's. Good briar, nice smoking pipes, and inexpensive.

i think that's a perfectly cool way to get into the hobby! :thu2:

8. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Also, I believe Drucquers in San Francisco had house pipes. Might be hard to find one though... probably as hard as finding a tin of their tobacco. They've been gone for quite awhile, as has Garfinkel's.

9. ShilohHollow

ShilohHollow Anchors Aweigh

L.J. Peretti in Boston, Nat Sherman in NYC and Wally Frank in NYC are not in the Southeast or West, but come to mind. What about Edwards pipes?

10. daveinlax

daveinlax Member

IMO this is a outstanding idea for a collection! Not really historic but McCranie's in Charlotte has shop brand pipes. Uhle's in MKE is another pipe I'd be after.:confused:

11. Russell Hartman

Russell Hartman Stay Silver

I will echo what was said already--once bitten by the bug--its hard to stop buying pipes. For me I allow the pipe to pick me. I will look at many pipes, and then suddenly there is one that for some reason strikes me as one I really like the looks of, and I go from there. I am lucky enough to live near Boswells pipe shop, and another great little shop near me that has pipes. I have a thing for my local artison J.M. Boswell, and also my other little shops house blends baccys. Both of these shops ALWAYS have pipes I can handle, and look at---then theres the pipe that catches the eye---you pick it up--inspect it---and simply cannot put it down. Recently however I have gotten more into the world wide web of the pipe world, and have found pipes in pictures that I have taken a chance on. In the past I would have NEVER purchased a pipe without handling it, and looking it over VERY close. PAD is a disease that has struck many of us. My most recent purchase a BST from Sasquatch has left me know that there are some VERY GREAT pipe artisons out there---they deserve to be found--they deserve to be brought to the fore front of the pipe world. PAD does this---there are guys out there that can feed our PAD-----and I am so glad. For those of us that love pipes---Its worth the chance---if you see a pipe that grabs your eye----------GET IT.

12. Russell Hartman

Russell Hartman Stay Silver

The thing about my collection when I actually take the time to look at the country of origin etc.-----for me my collection has been built on the pipe grabbing my eye. I guess I really don't concern myself over trying to stick with one pipe maker, but exploring the many pipes out there. I like having a collection of pipes that every time I go through them I can look at it, and say to myself---I like it---its one I had to have. The thing with pipes is that they are all subjective-----in collecting---a specific name, or style may not appeal to everyone---all that counts is that you the owner like the pipes you have. Collecting them no matter the style, shape, grade----man its addicting.:bing:

13. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

Look into Pipe Works & Wilke...an old time pipe and tobacco shop. Last I heard, they still had some of the original PW&W pipes from the 50s........................

14. WrightwoodJohn

WrightwoodJohn Wrightwood expatriate

len smetona likes this.
  15. len smetona

len smetona Member

16. WrightwoodJohn

WrightwoodJohn Wrightwood expatriate

Wally Frank...

17. David Emond

David Emond Active Member

Tracy mincer pipes.

Thread Status: