1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Starting a Notebook/Journal

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by AK Kilted Guy, Mar 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AK Kilted Guy

AK Kilted Guy Member

So, I've been smoking a pipe for going on a year now. I have tried a few different tobaccos now and sometimes have difficulty remembering which ones I like or not. So, in order to not find myself buying tins of stuff I am not really all that fond of in the future, I am thinking of starting a pipe tobacco journal. Very simple, just a book in which to write down what I like and don't like about all the tobaccos I try.

Anyone else do this?

2. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

I have done this for years. If you write it down, you never have to worry about forgetting anything.

AK Kilted Guy likes this.
  3. AK Kilted Guy

AK Kilted Guy Member

How much info do you put in there? I am thinking that I am going to put in: Tobacco, vendor, cost and then just my general take on it. Possibly a 5star rating or something.

4. dwaugh

dwaugh Moderator Moderator

I've been wanting to do this, but I know myself well enough to know that I would not keep it up. I was thinking about using notecards for each blend so that they could be organized in different ways, and so that I could find all my notes on one blend in one spot, instead of spread throughout in a journal. A database or spreadsheet would be nice, but the extra hurdle of opening the program would make it even less likely for me to keep up (I'm much less nerdy than I pretend to be :)). Yea, I wish I had the follow thought to do...

jkstewart1 likes this.
  5. AK Kilted Guy

AK Kilted Guy Member

Hm.. that gets me thinking. There may be an app for that. I may have to go look through the app store.

6. woody

woody Aloha! Admin

BigJ and Rewster66 like this.
  7. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

I've done this for years but instead of keeping a written log myself, I just write them out on www.tobaccoreviews.com.

BradNTX likes this.
  8. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

A journal sounds like a cool idea. I keep track on a spreadsheet with 1-10 scale and a line or two of notes with my impressions. If a blend scores an 8 or better, it gets put on the TAD list for bulk purchase (another spreadsheet).

TRAVIS likes this.
  9. Rewster66

Rewster66 Active Member

TRAVIS likes this.
  10. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

I've often thought about doing that too... I'm just too lazy.
    I like Sorringowl's logbook... looks nice..

11. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

A tobacco either tastes good or bad to me when I try it and I have no problem remembering what tastes bad.

kb7get likes this.
  12. AK Kilted Guy

AK Kilted Guy Member

Looking at Sorringowl's shop and not seeing a notebook. Hmm.

13. woody

woody Aloha! Admin

He's probably got a couple made up send him a PM.

14. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

How about a good old fashioned receipe card file system as a jounral? They come with little aphabetical spacers, and you can get a lot on those note cards. It would allow you to easily write down notes, easily retrieve and update those notes, and then track your impression of a blend over the years.

15. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

Us old fuccas use paper and a pencil.

sorringowl, dwaugh and AK Kilted Guy like this.
  16. LifeOfRiley

LifeOfRiley Active Member

What about just posting a review at tobaccoreviews.com and track them that way, as well as share them with others. Or post them in here?

17. woody

woody Aloha! Admin

That's an idea... Maybe a section everyone start a thread and use it as your log?

Dondi likes this.
  18. Whalehead King

Whalehead King Balaenius Rex!!

A spreadsheet will never be as effective as notes dashed off the cuff. The handwriting will convey something, and you can't deliberate when you write by hand. You just do it, no changes. There is still a palimpsest when pencil is erased.

I always wish I could keep a journal, not just of tobaccos, but of everything.

It's a good idea, but I know me. It will be a bunch of notes scribbled on the back of junk-mail envelopes headed for the recycling bin.

With a handshake,
    WK

19. akohtz

akohtz Member

I started a log after I'd been smoking for a few months and began experimenting with all kinds of samples. It was a matter of keeping it all straight. Over time, this log turned into a huge benefit in helping discern what kinds of tobacco I enjoyed.

- Andrew

20. user2725

user2725 Active Member

Yeah, I have a list with a taste description and rating.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.