1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Starting collection

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by prole, Dec 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. prole

prole Member

Hey everyone. I wasn't sure exactly where to put this, here or in the ask an old fart section.

I'm a new guy who's been into pipes for about a few weeks and already have a stage 5 case of PAD.

After a week of corn cob, I knew I was hooked. I went to the local shop to get a simple estate to get a little more serious. This Peterson Kenmare 68 set me back about 65$. It's a winner. Nothing fancy, but I think I will be using this piece for years because of a bizarre 'first pipe' bond I feel for it. Although, just two days later, I realized this little guy needed some rest.

peterson
    [​IMG]

So along came this Savinelli Autograph. Out of all the estates at my local B&M, it had the most striking appeal. The heft, dark tone and sharp elbow bend did it for me. I realized if I did a little over time at work I could make up the 150$ this set me back.

savinelli
    [​IMG]

Now I feel like I can rest with these guys and take my time with the mission of filling out a seven day set of pipes. Also, my wife may kill me if I buy another anytime soon. (I only just recently won the battle to be able to smoke even aromatics in the house, but that's a story for another thread.)

So two things please, could the folks with more experience rate my rookie purchases? I do not feel as if I will have any buyer's regret, but for around 200$ bux, how did this rookie do? Any general tips for a new guy starting out building a rotation? What mistakes did you make at the same point in life that I ought to avoid?

Thanks in advance, I'm very grateful to have found this forum

([I was going to spoiler this, but don't see how..]
    I made one embarassing mistake already, by winning this auction. I have no idea in hindsight what possessed me to bid on this, it is such a dainty little pipe and nothing like what I would really like to have next (a 50-80$ range bulldog).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/320814326050?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Go ahead and rip me for it, I think I deserve it for ebaying a hobby item I am only just learning, especially after a few drinks.)

dwaugh and David Emond like this.
  2. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

In all honesty, I think you have a fine start on your collection. :puffy:

3. desertmoon

desertmoon Member

AGREED!!!

The OP has discerning taste.

It's interesting; I, too, was hooked after a very brief time. My grandfather was a pipe smoker ( aluminum Rocket, as I recall ) and I always loved the smell. My late best friend's step dad also smoked a pipe and he was an awesome influence in my life....I guess it was destined.

I now collect a lot of working class pipes and restore them. I'm having a blast and I am learning a LOT about pipes from the crew here and my new passion.

Stonewall likes this.
  4. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

I think you're a natural, Prole. My hat's off to you. Many noobs jump in and get a few dogs right off the bat (myself included, but in my defense the Internet really didn't exist in any useful sense 20 years ago), but I have every reason to believe that you'll enjoy smoking these beauties for many years to come. Good job!

Herb

5. user2428

user2428 Active Member

I really like what you got so far! I have been looking at a long stem "dainty" pipe as well...would like to have a warden I think! Keep it up!

6. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

You're doing just fine, I think. I've said this before in other places, so I hope my ol' pals hereabouts can forgive this boring re-iteration: To get a hella pipe deal on Ebay, watch for Custom-Bilts. Yes, with the hyphen. They're premium briar from 1946 or before, and well made. Custombilts, without the hyphen, are later but often still good pipes at good prices. Keep it under your hat, okay? This is just between you and me. :)

I can appreciate the "first pipe bond." My first serious pipe (I'm from Columbus, Ohio, so it was a GBD-- the major pipe shop there really pushed them) changed the way I thought about pipes. I'd had a Carey (pretty nice smoker, actually, and still is) and some drugstore brands, but that GBD awakened me to new possibilities in the art of enjoyment. Your Peterson will serve you the rest of your life. Later, when you have Wileys and BSTs and Dunhills and such, that pipe will still love you. :)

7. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

You're in good shape, Prole. Petes and Savs are probably the two most commonly recommended makes for a solid yet affordable pipe. I don't have any particular advice other than to stick around the forum and enjoy every smoke! :)

8. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

I have never owed any Savinelli or Peterson pipes but have heard nothing but good comments about them and I like that Savinelli Autograph! :th1:

9. prole

prole Member

Thanks for the kind words, fellas. I don't know anybody very serious about pipe smoking in real life, my relatives who were pipe smokers passed long before I was interested. You're thoughts are definitely valuable to me

desert, that's funny, I did the same thing with cigarettes too, years ago. I think I had two drags before I was wondering where to get a carton from. Luckily I kicked that and am on to these pipes. 'Working class pipes' sounds like great subject material, I bet there's some awesome stories behind your work

Archer, thanks for making me feel better about that funny stick pipe :)

Andy, I've got a search saved for 'Custom-Bilts', sounds like a great pipe with some history if I can snag one for the rotation..

10. prole

prole Member

Thanks, kiowa and cobb

11. user1975

user1975 Active Member

Looks like you're off to a great start! It's hard to go wrong with a Savinelli, and an Autograph is amongst their best!

12. Jay

Jay Active Member

Prole, you are off to a good start. The PAD can be an evil demon sometimes, makes you bid on some far out stuff on ebay. One of the first mistakes I made was buying some real dogs off of Craigslist, I didn't know what made a good pipe good and wound up with 6 poorly made pipes for $50. Not a terribly expensive mistake but one that was learned the hard way. You have some nice pipes there, buy quality and you will never regret it. Remember, those pipes will last your lifetime and maybe someone elses if treated right, so for $200 you have few items that will outlive you. You can't find that kind of quality for that price at Wal-Mart. Stick around and ask questions, we love to live vicariously through other's PAD and TAD!

13. Old Codger

Old Codger Well-Known Member

Congrats! Good start to a collection. The Butz Choquin could turn out to be one of those very nice end of the day settle down and relax type smokes.

14. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

That Sav is a beauty, but she was no cheap date.

15. WrightwoodJohn

WrightwoodJohn Wrightwood expatriate

Drinks + Pipe shop /Ebay = purchase. I like all those pipes:bing: PS: you may end up liking that Butz more than you think!

16. CalPiper

CalPiper Member

Nice start, keep pressing ahead!

17. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

Good beginning amigo. All the Petes and Savs I've owned have been quality pipes. That" butts-chokin" pipe is cool too. Will make a great arm chair in-the-evening smoker.
    Yeah....you done good!

18. Preacher1611

Preacher1611 Active Member

I think you have a nice start there! Enjoy'em, I especially like that "dainty" pipe, having cool little pipes like that in your collection is a great conversation starter! :puffy:

19. prole

prole Member

Thanks again for the honest remarks and compliments. You guys have me looking forward to the Butz Choquin(would like to know how to pronounce that aloud, btw hah)

Taking the Sav for an after work spin and a forum photo...
    [​IMG]

20. prole

prole Member

If anyone has some advice on finding a nice, large bulldog style pipe for a third tool in the rotation I'm all ears. Hoping to stay south of 70$ or so but could go a little higher if it's a hard to miss deal. Is this the right place for this request or is the ebay section more appropriate? Thanks in advance

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.