1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Starting collection

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by prole, Dec 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WrightwoodJohn

WrightwoodJohn Wrightwood expatriate

The usual sites...cupOjoes, smokingpipes, you can't go wrong. As far as Ebay goes, try these sellers: Shinypipes, Great estate pipes, Coopersark..

2. ChrisD

ChrisD Member

Very good lineup you got there! Some good makes for the +/- $100 range are, Moretti, Peterson, Savinelli, Hackert, Boswell, e.t.c. and a whole bunch of estates. smokingpipes.com has a really good estate selection

3. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

"Boots show-CAN"

4. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Stonewall likes this.
  5. blues man

blues man Member

Nice start; I'm a Sav freak. I've been buying them since 1974..

6. prole

prole Member

Ok, so the dainty little bootz show-CAN arrived in the mail today and it's quite big and long. It's beautiful and smokes like a chimney. My local B&M owner cleaned it himself as a courtesy and was impressed with the purchase, he pointed out how this series used actual albatross wing bone for that ivory looking segment in the stem.
    [​IMG]

In use..
    [​IMG]

Out of my now three pipes, this is by far the coolest smoke so far. I'm sure the Pete and Sav will get even cooler as I learn to really slow down and puff and not drag hard like in cigarette days.

Thanks for the advice and encouragement, friends. You guys are great.

RTOdhner and David Emond like this.
  7. Preacher1611

Preacher1611 Active Member

That's a sweet pipe!!!

8. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

Sounds like you have a good collection going. When it comes to briars, I really love me some Petes so I'd recommmend that you get a Pete Rhodesian or Bulldog. The Pete #999 (regardless of price or particular finish/line) is always a winner in my book. They make great flake pipes. (I have a habit of cupping my hand over the bowl of any pipe that I'm smoking flake tobacco in, and I really like how the #999 fits my hand when doing so).

9. Kari johansson

Kari johansson Member

10. prole

prole Member

RTO, taking a serious look at some very cool 999s, thanks for the advice. An employee at my B&M mentioned that newer Pete's were dipped or something like that finishing off the manufacturing process. I didn't totally understand what he was warning me off of, but he made it sound like the newer pipes had some inferior sort of coating process that was a concern. Does this ring true at all in your experience?

Kari, those are great looking pipes. The Jubilee in the first link has a beautiful color. Do you run an online shop or ebay store?

11. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

He may have been talking about the fact that Peterson applies stain by dunking the stummels and their pipes thus get stain on the inside of the bowl. It's not really a problem after a few smokes, though some folks find it kind of annoying. I certainly wouldn't let that dissuade me from buying a Peterson.

12. SmokeyJoe

SmokeyJoe Active Member

Dude smokes a pipe made from Albatross bone, an iPad close at hand, with a rifle sittin' on the back of the couch. Looks like he'll fit right in...

Kiowapipe and Archer like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.