1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

starting up a cellar

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by pc566, Jan 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pc566

pc566 Member

Jan 19, 2011
    right everyone i've just got an order in for a batch of mason jars for me to start storing my toby in something other then the plastic pouches i get it in. i will have a few left over so i was going to fill some and lay them down so i can enjoy them in maybe 5 years time, i figure if i start now i'll have some really nice tobacco before i'm 30 and i might beat any rises in prices.

what are you favourite tobaccos to stick in your cellars? so far i havnt found one that i don't like so just list your favourites or even if its just any general type like a light virginia etc.

on a side note, i also enjoy handrolling tobacco blended by my local shop. do you think this would age in the same way pipe tobacco would?

cheers everyone
  2. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Congratz on many facets! You'll save. You'll rest easier. Go forward PC!

Va's age best as well as most va blends.

That's what's mainly in my cellar but I want other toby for down the road too! So like a squirrel! I gotz "Mixed Nutz"! .........No "comic" visuals pleaze! :)

Grab bulk when you can.....it'll save right off the bat but do comparison shop as in bulks vs tin cost and if tinned is or about the same price.........get either. When getting tins, get 3-5. 1 for now. Another for later. The rest for even later. And so on. Date them as you get them. Also comparison shop etailers too! Don't forget your b&m's too! They can have some out of stock or out of production toby that the major etailers have been sold out for months.

Cellar wide
    Cellar deep
    Cellar Now!

Ed Puff!
    Cogito ergo puff
  3. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Jun 13, 2010
    I can add nothing else to Puff's
    great post. Other than no toby
    will degrade, just some do not
    age like others. Personally, I
    am all for cellaring VAs, and
    have several there now: Dunhill
    Flake, OGS, Capstan Gold Navy
    Cut, and the like.

4. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2009
    Most pipers cellar for one of two reasons:

1) To "age". Va and Va/Per blends age best due to the high sugar content in Virginia tobaccos. Ten plus years will cause these blends to morph into totally different, and totally delightful tobaccos. Second best to age would be English/Oriental blends, with Burley and Aromatics at the bottom of the list.

2) To hedge against tomorrow. ALL tobaccos will cellar. With the propensity for higher prices and the present anti-tobacco sentiment, having a large, deep cellar is the best way to insure a supply of your favorite blends in the future. The larger your cellar now, the better, and more secure your pipe smoking will be in the future.

One thing to keep in mind is our tendency for our tastes to change. I started out loving aromatics, then fell in love with English blends. Later I found Va's and Va-Pers. Recently I'm finding I again enjoy the occasional aro. There's no telling what tomorrow may bring, so my cellar is quite eclectic. I am stocking up on all genres of tobacco...if need be in the future, I'll have some excellent trading materials. Cellaring is a win/win.
  5. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

Oct 17, 2010
    I buy bulk when I can. I'm quick to jar all my bulk purchases, so I don't lose the potency that comes with fresh tobaccos. I'm a bit of a worrier when it come to my smokes. It's a big, important investment for me. Once I get it in a jar I can stop worrying. Then, I take comfort in knowing that everything I've put in jars is getting better by the month/year. Sit back, relax, the stuff in the jars is "cookin'". (mouth watering, here)

Be well.
    Ol Brokedik.
  6. Sweatsack

Sweatsack Member

Nov 6, 2009
    I started sticking half of everything I buy in the cellar and I have yet to open a jar after two years of smokin'. So, to answer your question, my favorite thing to cellar is anything and everything.
  7. atwageman

atwageman Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Like others have said.....cellar now and cellar everything.
  8. Trendsetter

Trendsetter Member

Dec 22, 2010
    I try to keep a hundred grams of each blend for smoking and anything excess gets saved for later. My wishlist costs $375. Hopefully i can fill that order later this year. Fingers crossed!
  9. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Reassuring Bovine Moderation Moderator

Jun 10, 2009
    I cellar things I KNOW that I like, things that age well and, as much as possible, things other people like. I'll buy a lot of something if I think the price is right and I can always unload it later if I wish.
  10. raistlinsk

raistlinsk Member

Aug 28, 2010
    I have my 3-5 favorites that I buy in mass quantity. Then I buy other stuff I see recommended on here and just hold on to them for rainy days. Its really easy to acquire alot in a short amount of time. Some days I open up my pantry and find myself wondering, where the hell did all this come from?!
  11. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2010
    That's what I do! +1
  12. sounds7

sounds7 Member

Jan 11, 2011

+1 what he said
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.