1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Stems on cobs.

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Old Ted, Feb 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

It's like spring came early, here on the Yorkshire coast today! - so I took a two mile stroll (really!), smoking McL. flake in my MM Dip., but I'm not too happy 'clenching' that std. mouthpiece....so now I'm wondering if it's really worthwhile ordering one of those fancy 'forever' stems - I heard some good reports, should I invest?
    Cheers OT.

2. WyoBob

WyoBob Member

I think it's worth it. When you consider that the cost of the stem can be spread among your cobs and that the stem should last a long time, the price becomes less of a consideration. Most people don't question spending $50-100.00 (31-62 GBP) on a briar and cob with the Forever Stem is certainly less than that.

I switch my F.E. stem among my 5 Diplomats, Legend and 2 Prides. Pretty hard to switch stems on a briar or meer.

I have the "nose warmer" Forever Stem and the mouthpiece is considerably more comfortable than any of the MM factory stems. The nose warmer turns the Diplomat into a pretty good clincher. When installed on a Missouri Pride, you have the world's best clincher. (My Prides weigh 23 and 26 ounces.)

WyoBob

3. snowman

snowman Member

Hello O T.
    Yes by all means, Go for the forever stems. I have 7 cobs and i put the forever stems in all of them and I love them.and I'm sure you will too.

4. cellophane

cellophane Member

What they said. I love my forever stem. I wish I could put one on some other pipes I have :yes:

5. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

had a Forver Stem on a Freehand which I liked - though I have since gifted the pipe when thinning the herd earlier in the year.

Being honest though I actually quite like the stems MMs come with - but I'm not a clencher.

Check out WalkerbriarWorks site though - it runs in my mind that they only recommend fitting them to new cobs - which does seem strange as most people swap them around,

Best to all

Gerry

6. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

I have 1 MM cob and bought the Forever stem.
    I love it.
    It's a bit expensive: I mean $5.00 for a pipe and $20.00 for a stem.
    If I get another MM cob, which I want to and will soon, I may just rotate the 1 stem I have. We will see.
    But if you look at it another way; $25 total for a nice pipe isn't too bad.

7. jhe888

jhe888 Member

I like my Forever stem. I don't like the seams on the MM stems, and the sort of plastic-ey feel. The Forever stem is forever, so cost isn't too bad.

8. WyoBob

WyoBob Member

Too late to edit: Should read 23 and 26 grams.

WyoBob

9. uncleburl

uncleburl Member

I love my forever stems!!! I only have four "nosewarmer" stems so far, but they have transformed my cobs into high quality pipes!!! As a clencher it makes my diplomats, danes, and gents just right. Since I hate switching stems I splurged for a couple a month till each of a 7 day set will have their own.
    I think about it this way.... Together a forever stem and a cob cost about the same as a Dr. Grabow, and the result is a pipe that will rival the Good Doctor in many ways.

10. FrankB

FrankB Member

I have a forever stem on a wide banded Diplomat.Purchased pipe and stem at same time from Walkers.I too had the idea that the stem was interchangeable.I have all of the MM's with the exception of the Pride and the forever I have fits almost none of them.It can be coerced onto my Danish spool and thats about it.I think the safe bet is to buy your pipe and stem from Walkers and have Dave match them together.FrankB

11. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

For a proper fit, Forever Stems should be used on NEW MM cobs. Note: as you smoke a cob, the mortise wood (stem end of the shank) will swell to "fit" the oem MM stem. So, depending on how much swelling has occured, that will determine whether your Forever stem will fit.

I have ~ 20 Forever Stems "married" to their own respective cob. All were new and fit well.....except for a couple of Legends that I'd smoked about a dozen times.....those did not fit. It (the mortise) was too tight even after dry. So I took some fine sandpaper 400 grit and gently circled the tenons on these Forever stems so they would fit. The only problem is these stems fit slightly looser if I insert them into a new cob. To me, that's a "no biggie" since these sanded. Tenon'd 4evah-stems will stay with their respective cobs till the cows come home. If I ever place these sanded stems into a new MM cob, it'll just take a few smokes for the wood to swell and "mate" to the stem.

The Walker Briarworks Forever Stems totally remove the "cheap feel" from the cob experience and I highly recommend them. Their vulcanite Forever Stems ROCK too!

Get one (or several) or get left behind. NO, I'm not a 4evah-stem snob.......................I just feel that they radically change the cob experience into a much more pleasant experience for those who clench or not. No cheap plastic experience at all. I do have 2 Prides with oem MM stems but those stems are from 40-50 yr old MM cobs and the plastic they were made from then was a bit toughte and did not display the "cheap" feel as does the current oem MM stems (Dane stems or the ones they recently replaced.

:velho:
    Ed Puff!
    Cogito ergo puff

12. raffles07

raffles07 Member

I have a couple in Vulcanite. The proprietor is a decent guy. But the stems are rather pricey for what they are. In the UK, the replacement stems for the Falcon International are only slightly too large, and I suspect with a little sanding one of these could be made to fit.

13. echopipe

echopipe New Member

I had to chime in on this one because I just bought a Forever stem. The longer 4 inch one. Red tortoise. And what an amazing difference!!! I liked my cobs before(a lot) but now...LOVE LOVE LOVE..It's a whole new pipe. (s) And really nice. I use the FS on my diplomat and my Country Gent' and it's really great.. I love it. I did think $20. bucks was a lil high. but now I don't. Like someone else had said it makes your cob feel like a really great pipe. I cant wait to get a better stem for my new Freehand cob. Personally I do recommend the longer stem. its looks amazing and smokes nice and cool. Good job walker!!!

happy smoking

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.