1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Sterilising Mason Jars

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Badcompany, Aug 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Badcompany

Badcompany Member

Hello Forum,
    Has anyone used the sterillising tablets you use for babies bottles.
    Badcompany.

2. Stoked

Stoked Member

No, but I'm sure you know that if you boil for 15 minutes (empty) that's all that's needed for mason jars. As long as your jars are clean I think sterilizing them is an overkill for toby.

[​IMG]

~ Orlik Golden Sliced ~
    Smoked by all shrewd judges
    and "geniuses"

3. bandlwalmer

bandlwalmer Member

Sorry for not answering the question, but I have one of my own. I have been just washing the mason jars, letting them dry and filling them. I just started boiling the lids, should I also boil the jars or is that not necessary? The jars are older jars that my grandma and now my wife and I have used for canning. Kinda neat to see the old jars getting use!

4. tsgourley

tsgourley Member

Me, personally, I'm too paranoid about botulism and other nasties growing on my toby from improper canning that boiling, or at least washing in the dishwasher on super face-melting hot, is an absolute must.

5. Stoked

Stoked Member

Once you open a tin of tobacco, even if it had been sterilized prior to being sealed, it is no longer sterile.

I have kept open tins, with the plastic lid on them (McC) inside of a humidor for upwards of five years and have never had any problems with anything growing on, or in the cans.

**** doesn't grow on tobacco like it was food. :)

[​IMG]
    ~ Orlik Golden Sliced ~
    Smoked by all shrewd judges
    and "geniuses"

6. Badcompany

Badcompany Member

Anyone tried sterilising there Mason jars in the microwave.
    Badcompany.

7. tsgourley

tsgourley Member

That's good to know. I've seen it mold, but you really have to screw up your storage to get that. I still recommend boiling or at least making sure the jars are good and clean. "It's better safe than sorry".

8. Fredrik

Fredrik Member

For proper sterilization you need a temperature in excess of 120°C for 15 min (actually, to nuke prions I think it's more like 60 min, but unless you're a Papua New Guinea cannibal you probably don't have to worry about that :whistle:) and as water boil at 100°C you need a pressure vessel like an autoclave for that. However, boiling in water for fifteen minutes will kill most vegetative bacteria and inactivate viruses which should be enough for this purpose ;)

9. Fredrik

Fredrik Member

D'oh! I forgot to mention that boiling wont kill spores. For that you'll need the autoclave.

10. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Ok, I guess I'm "on".....

To sterilize, for a non-metal object (glass, the lid that has the soft rubber-like ring, any non-metal) and "lumened" objects (like a glass or metal or rubber tube/hose) it takes 270 deg F under 15cm psi for 10 minutes.........as long as the item was clean to begin with.

To sterilize metal, non lumened, it takes the above process but only 3 minutes.

To kill prions, you can't. Prions are not living. They are a strand of DNA/RNA and the only way to "nix" prions (as far as I know, as an OR RN, who autoclaved each shift I was on duty) you have to "denature" the protein (DNA/RNA prion). AND make the sure the denaturing is permanent. So, many facilities use tons of disposable "gear" when dealing with Creutzfeldt Jacobs Disease (Mad Cow, NOT Mad Mr MOO :thumbsu:) then that goes to incineration under extreme temp (cremation like temps).

As for the simpler life of the piper/jarrer :whistle:, just start off with clean hardware, clean hands, and go! If you wish to boil your jars, lids & rings, have at it. It'll be just that much cleaner.

If for some reason, you find non-white "growths" that are fuzzy, toss it. Don't wanna be smokin' no green & fuzzies!

:velho:
    Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.