Sterling Tobacco Bargain blend

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Sweatsack, Jan 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sweatsack

Sweatsack Member

I recently received a free sample (and placed another order with) Sterling Tobacco Co. in Illinois. With the sample I requested, I also received a sample of "Bargain Blend". Bargain Blend, as you might have guessed, is a seemingly random mish-mash of all sorts of tobaccos: the screw-ups that have to be re-made, the leftovers, etc. all thrown in together, mixed up, and sold for a discounted price. Obviously this mixture would be constantly changing so you never really know what you're going to get.

The thought of this put me off at first. My immediate thought was, "what if it sucks?". My next thought was, "what if it's awesome but you order some more and it sucks?" But considering it was a free sample, you know I'm gonna smoke it (I'll smoke anything). And I found myself reaching for it before any of the other blends I have recently received in the mail.

I gotta be honest, this was a really fun pipe to smoke. I loaded up a cob and went to town on it. It was very intriguing. At first it smoked like an aromatic with a really mild flavor and a great room note. About halfway down the bowl some other stuff started to come out and it had a little bit of zest to it, more like a mild English. I think the surprise and the unexpected development of the flavor/aroma really added some fun to it.

Anyway, I've got a sample of the Sweet Briar blend from them and one of their new English blends in the mail so I'll give those a try. But if I end up replenishing either of those orders or trying any of their new stuff I'm sure I'll add a bag of "Bargain Blend" to my order. For $8/half pound or $15 for a whole, why the heck not?

2. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

This attitude makes you a true codger...congratulations....I think. :)

3. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

You've obviously got Scots ancestry somewhere in the proceedings...and even if you haven't consider yourself an Honorary Scotsman!

We have something similar here - some of the well known long established (now online) tobacconists offer a "Pensioners Mixture" but due to our succesive Chancellors' greed and the tax structures they have imposed it isn't offered any cheaper - if it were we'd buy it and like it!

In the interim all we can do as a gesture of protest is to vote with our wallets and visit the Continent - frequently. Spain Rules O.K.!

Best to all

Gerry

4. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

I too received the Sterling Tobacco Bargain blend last week.
    It was ok, fair, so-so.
    Had better, had worse.
    They also sent me (free) 1776 Old Dominion.
    That was OK too.
    Nothing to rave about.

5. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

A while back, they sent me some Bargain and some Chairmain of the Board. I really liked the Bargain and I ended out sprinkling some bourbon on the Chairman for something I call Business Man's Lunch.

6. Sweatsack

Sweatsack Member

I believe I do have some Scot in me. Go figure...

7. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Too much information...(lalalala....) :)

Nothing wrong with being frugal(Scottish). I wish I had your underdeveloped sense of taste...

8. Sweatsack

Sweatsack Member

TMI...as I was typing it the first thing that came to mind was, "Who's Scott?"

9. whitebriar

whitebriar Member

"ya pays yer money, and ya takes yer chances"--
    only in this case it was a freebee--i got one sample of the bargain blend and it wasn't what i would want to smoke alone, so i tweeked it--the result turned out really good--if i were to get the bargain blend again, it could conceivably be wonderful as a stand alone--only real downer is that if it were to be wonderful, it could never be duplicated--

i never like to waste tobacco, considering todays prices--((unless it is mixture 79--)) :dunno:

10. Major

Major Member

. hmm.......... looking at that shirt and the sceneary behind you makes me wonder what you have one below the sight line in that pic?

If you have a kilt on chances are " You might be a redn".......... er um Scot.

Keep the heid! Lang may yer lum reek!

11. Sweatsack

Sweatsack Member

That photo was from the north slope of Alaska, I used to work up there in a welding shop, a trade in which I would not recommend wearing a kilt unless you want some sparks on your junk!

12. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I ordered a blend to try and got the bargain stuff too . Mine had almost no body and strenth .. and flavor for that matter . I was suprised because if it were a bunch of crap laying around from diff. blends [ or even just two ] then you'd think you'd get something at least weird . I thought their prices were to high . A pound of any of there blends was more than I cant get A pound of MB or PS products for . The blend I ordered was ok but not worth the money .

13. Schmitz Bitz

Schmitz Bitz Member

I actually received a (very generous) sample of this yesterday, and much to my chagrin, a good eighth of the pouch was not actually tobacco, but rather soft, cakey crud that smells of cherries (think cheap and gummy cherry hashish). I tried rubbing this out, just turned my palms brown, so I picked what I could out, and left the rest of the "blend" to dry somewhat. See what happens when I get home, but given the balls of flavouring, I am kind of worried about damage to my pipes.

14. VibrativePiano6

VibrativePiano6 Member

Now this I might do. I have the same as you, Bargain and some Chairman. The Chairman to me, how to describe it is CH + PA + just enough FM for latakia. I like it, but it's not the best for me.

My Bargain though makes my throat hurt. Seriously, I have to down Bendryl after to get the itching to go down. Not sure if it's a possible leaf he's tossed in that I'm allergic to, or just all the blends aren't to my liking.

Bargain is one of the few tobaccos I've ever actually thrown away.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.