1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Sticker Ghost

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by beano, Nov 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beano

beano Member

I bought a basket pipe from my b&m and it had a price sticker on the stem, which I promptly removed. It must have been there a while because there is a, for lack of a better term, "imprint" left on the stem, a kind of "negative". Im not talking about goo or glue residue but an actual image left on the stem.

I tried soaking in whiskey, boiling, and old fashioned elbow grease to no avail. Any suggestions?

On a side note: when I boiled the stem it changed color. Is this a common occurrence or because of the lack of quality involved in my cheapo device? I actually prefer this new color, but will want to avoid the issue in future purchases.

2. MikeInMaine

MikeInMaine Passes for human

Welcome to the forum!
    My guess is the ghost is from the rest of the pipe fading in the sun.I have never boiled a pipe so I can't say what that would do.

Post some pics if you can and you will likely get more advice than you can handle.

beano likes this.
  3. Buckshot

Buckshot Member

I know exactly what you are talking about. I used to have a pipe with a sticker ghost on the stem. I just left it there because the stem was in good shape otherwise. Micro Mesh will shine up your stem very nicely and it will remove the sticker ghost too. It removes an extremely small amount of material. Just enough to get rid of that ghost.

Rodfather and beano like this.
  4. MikeInMaine

MikeInMaine Passes for human

My mistake, somehow I thought the ghost was on the briar.
    Ignore my post:ohyh:

beano likes this.
  5. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

The goo on the sticker sealed the vulcanite and kept it from oxidizing like the rest of the stem. When you boiled the stem you accelerated the oxidizing and likely turned it an olive green color. In the future, use a bit of toothpaste and an old piece of flannel to remove the sticker residue. If you get tired of the olive green color the toothpaste a some elbow grease will restore the stem to a lustrous black.

beano likes this.
  6. beano

beano Member

7. Summit

Summit Live Simply.

Welcome aboard the PSF. These guys have tons of info to get you back on track.

8. 1858remington

1858remington Active Member

Reminds me of a house that I visited with a constable for an eviction.:eek:
    Moved a picture on the wall to find that the original paint was white, not nicotine brown like the rest of the wall.:puke:
    Same house had a dust doughnut around the ceiling fan.:confused:

9. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

This discoloration will likely leave a bitter taste in your mouth. Best thing to do is get some fine sand paper (800 and/or 1000 grit) and a micro mesh pad to clean that stuff off. A good polishing kit can be had from Walker Briar Works....use it for maintenance.

10. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

Wow, that's actually a pretty cool phenomenon. You're going to want to clean that stem up, though- the brown stuff is oxidized rubber and it will make the stem taste like an old tire. My advice? Leave the stem in a bowl of bleach solution (50/50 water) for a couple of hours, then use very fine wet sanding paper (or micromesh if you've got it) and repolish the stem.

11. N3M0

N3M0 Active Member

I second Kiowa on the advice of the 50/50 mixture and wet sand paper or micromesh. AND on the fact that it looks cool as hell :th1:

Oxyclean works as well.

12. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

Just a comment on boiling Vulcanite....don't! Yes, it will soften the material so that it can be bent/shaped, but it also will accelerate any oxydation, giving you the result we see here. Vulcanite has sulfur compounds in it which is what causes the discoloration. To bend/shape a Vulcanite stem, use a heat gun or hair dryer. The dryer will take a bit longer, but this method will not oxidize the material. Keep moving/rotating the stem as you heat it so you don't blister one section and you should be fine.

Kiowapipe likes this.
  13. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

You can also use your stove. Just turn on an element or a burner and wave the stem over top. The key is to keep waving the stem around, don't hold it in one spot, and be patient. Keep checking your progress to see if you're getting close. You don't want to scorch or blister a spot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.