Stokkebye Aromatic Dutch Slices

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by RTOdhner, Sep 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

Per TR, this blend is air cured and shag cut and is comprised of Burley, Cavendish, and Virginia tobaccos. While not mentioned, there seems to be some sort of topping in there but after only two bowls I'm not yet sure what it is.

As a lover of OTC blends, the first thing I thought was that this is a generic definition of a classic old codger type of smoke. I like codger smokes and I like Stokkebye tobaccos, so I ordered 8oz without having tried it first. Good move, I must say. This is nothing fancy, and it has a simple goodness that places it in good standing among the great simple classics like Carter Hall, Granger, and Prince Albert. This is not to say that it tastes like these classics, just that it offers the same sort of simple contentment.

I've tried it in a MM Egg and an MM General, and I think it smokes best in the General. This tobak is sort of like a classic Dodge muscle car: it may not scream right off the line, but it has kicked-quite nicely by the time it hits 1/4 mile mark so you pretty much need a large pipe to really enjoy this blend. All-in-all, this is a one dimensional smoke but that one dimension is nice - just like most OTC blends. Of course, I like OTC classics like SWR or Granger because they are simple and offer an enjoyable straight-forward smoke. It is easy to light, stays lighted, and does not bite.

After only two bowls, I sure can't say that this is the best thing since sliced bread and Skippy peanut butter. However, my initial impression is that this is a good smoke. Not great, but very good - a nice and simple nutty hay-like quality with a non-offensive room note. If you like codger blends, I think you should give it a try. If you crave the complexity of a C &D or Pease type of blend, then you might want to skip this one.

Hawkwood, ATXPipe and nitehawk like this.
  2. TxPipesmoker

TxPipesmoker Active Member

That there is a good review in my book sir.

RTOdhner likes this.
  3. Dubble Bubble

Dubble Bubble Member

The Scandinavian Tobacco Group website lists this Stokkebye product as a blend as our most superior blends of Burley tobaccos. It is also described as a non-aromatic that is distinguished by its unpretentious.pleasantly mild flavor.

Well me,I ain't no Old Codger but I love this stuff. I much prefer the term Scurrilous Curmudgeon Extraordinaire. So how does it rate? It works . Mild,smooth and slightly sweet. Mellow and laid back in other words. It doesn't get sassy with your tongue or stink up the room with an aromatic aroma. Smells and smokes like a plain old ordinary everyday burley tobacco.Quite unpretentious indeed. Doesn't get sour halfway through the bowl and leaves a fine gray in the spent bowl. No goop or gurgle. And it won't break the bank to buy a pound of it. Great tinder to get a flake burning nice and easy.

As it is rather mild a few slices of a Happy Bogie twist will dominate the smoke and make you feel like you are smoking something distinguished even though you are in the cheap seat of pipe tobacco land. At least that is how it works for me.

RTOdhner likes this.
  4. ruralhipster

ruralhipster Member

Nice review. Funny, by the name I was expecting it to be a variation on LTF.

RTOdhner likes this.
  5. Dubble Bubble

Dubble Bubble Member

It is sort of strange that it is not aromatic,only in the slightest amount Dutch and not a flake as slices would seem to imply.

RTOdhner likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.