Stokkebye Turkish

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by buistd, Feb 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. buistd

buistd Sales Account

I recently got my hands on some Samuel Gawith blending Izmir and really enjoy smoking it straight. I'm on the lookout for non-Latakia blends with Orientals as the main component (and for the pedants, I know that Latakia's an Oriental). Has anyone tried this Stokkebye blend? I'm a bit concerned it'll be too fine cut for smoking in a pipe.

2. Biggles

Biggles Active Member

I haven't tried the Turkish but the Stokkebye Amsterdam is a favourite of mine and it's from the same line; i.e. formerly shag cut tobaccos primarily intended for rollies now sold as pipe tobacco. The cut of the Amsterdam is nowhere near as fine as a shag - it's actually what I'de call a ribbon cut, probably right around 1.5 mm, and the ribbons tend to be short rather than the long strands commonly found in a shag cut tobacco. The Amsterdam ribbons vary but I'de say an average length could be 20 mm or so. Dead easy to pack and fully recommended. :th1:

On a related note, Rattray's Red Rapparee is a very Oriental forward red VA blend that's also excellent.

[​IMG]

3. JRobert

JRobert Hermit Forum Guide

4. buistd

buistd Sales Account

5. esteban

esteban Active Member

for what reviews are worth...out of 8 reviews @ tobacco reviews.com, alll but 2 give it a top rating, which is kind of rare. The remaining 2 are just under the top rating. I love a good Izmir.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.