1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Stokkebye Turkish

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by buistd, Feb 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. buistd

buistd Active Member

I recently got my hands on some Samuel Gawith blending Izmir and really enjoy smoking it straight. I'm on the lookout for non-Latakia blends with Orientals as the main component (and for the pedants, I know that Latakia's an Oriental). Has anyone tried this Stokkebye blend? I'm a bit concerned it'll be too fine cut for smoking in a pipe.

2. Biggles

Biggles Active Member

I haven't tried the Turkish but the Stokkebye Amsterdam is a favourite of mine and it's from the same line; i.e. formerly shag cut tobaccos primarily intended for rollies now sold as pipe tobacco. The cut of the Amsterdam is nowhere near as fine as a shag - it's actually what I'de call a ribbon cut, probably right around 1.5 mm, and the ribbons tend to be short rather than the long strands commonly found in a shag cut tobacco. The Amsterdam ribbons vary but I'de say an average length could be 20 mm or so. Dead easy to pack and fully recommended. :th1:

On a related note, Rattray's Red Rapparee is a very Oriental forward red VA blend that's also excellent.

[​IMG]

3. JRobert

JRobert Serious Cat Forum Guide

4. buistd

buistd Active Member

5. esteban

esteban Active Member

for what reviews are worth...out of 8 reviews @ tobacco reviews.com, alll but 2 give it a top rating, which is kind of rare. The remaining 2 are just under the top rating. I love a good Izmir.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.