1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Stonehaven..... By any othe name would be FRICKEN sweet

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by cigarmonkey21, Jun 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cigarmonkey21

cigarmonkey21 Member

I need every bodies help and experience. Stonehaven could very possibly be my #1 on my top 10 all time favorites. The problem is we all know how much of a pain esoterica can be to track down. Has anybody found an identical or close second to it that is easily available??

2. cakeanddottle

cakeanddottle Member

GH Brown Flake Unscented? Germain Brown Flake? One of these might be as close as you'll get.

3. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

No

I've heard several suggestions, tried a few, and all fell short. I resigned to being more deligent at looking for it regularly until I found someone with it. Ordered an 8 oz and had a local B&M special order another.

4. FlatbushPaul

FlatbushPaul Cellar is in an undisclosed Bunker

I wish I could help ya, but I can't. I don't know anything that's anywhere near it for taste, tin note or quality. For me it's like the perfect blend! It has a sweetness like an Aro but it's not sweet lika an Aro. It has the taste of a Va but it is way more than a Va. It satisfies my Burley taste but it's way more than a Burley. It also has the punch I need when I want a little more power. It burns perfect. What more can be said? There's an absolute reason why it's always sold out so quickly.

Sorry, but Happy Smoking anyways,
    Paul

5. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Ever try MB Dark Twist ? It aint Stonehaven but ya might like it

Rewster66 likes this.
  6. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Germain's Dark Flake is the same thing.

Rewster66 likes this.
  7. SouthBound

SouthBound Active Member

I've never tried Germain Brown Flake, but I've smoked about a pound of GH Brown Flake. In my opinion, it's not even close to Stonehaven. You might try a tin of the Germain, same blending house and all. Although, I think it's pretty hard to find, too.

8. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Yeah, GH Brown Flake is super good stuff, but not at all like Stonehaven.

Germains Rich Dark Flake or whatever it's called is the same stuff, but I don't think they sell it in the USA.

9. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

Haha, dp, you are kind of cruel. Recommend a blend that is just as hard to find. :poke:

10. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Oops. :oops: Just buy some Condor and call
    it good. Oh, wait....

BradNTX likes this.
  11. LawMonkey

LawMonkey Member

The word on the street is that Tilbury is more or less ready-rubbed Stonehaven. I can't say for sure--I love me some Tilbury, but I've yet to crack my pouch of SH. I'd figure it's worth a try though, wot? I know I love me some Tilbury. :)

12. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Tilbury and Stonehaven are both tobacco....but they aren't very much alike in taste or strength

FlatbushPaul likes this.
  13. Rewster66

Rewster66 Active Member

What Fangs said.:rolleyes:

14. Rewster66

Rewster66 Active Member

Take 10 lbs. of Half & Half, mix with 15 ripe plum, 1 lb. of prunes, 2 boxes of California raisins, 1 cup of anise extract, and 1 drop of vanilla flavoring.
    Place in sealed 5 gallon bucket for 2 weeks, (for fermentation). Remove from the bucket after 2 weeks and place in a 20 tons press for precisely 72 hours.
    Once removed from the press you have yourself a very pungent and effective paperweight and/or boat anchor, but if you think you can duplicate Stonehaven you need to see you psychiatrist immediately.

Your welcome. :)

15. FlatbushPaul

I don't think they are anywhere near each other on the spectrum. Tilbury is a VaBur and a very nice smoke but to put it in the class of Stonehaven is an insult to Stonehaven! Lol! Seriously though, tin note, cut, density, strength are not even close. If that's the word on the street where you hang out, then start hanging out somewhere else.

16. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

Stonehaven AKA Germain's Dark Flake has several similar alternatives ( over here! ) that IMHO equal, or indeed exceed it's virtues, unfortunately they seem to be equally elusive to you gents!:(
    OT

FlatbushPaul likes this.
  17. LawMonkey

LawMonkey Member

No worries--I was going from reviews on tobaccoreviews and my own fairly old memories of the tin note of SH. The former did note a meaningful difference between the two--but if you're looking for a "poor man's" Stonehaven, I thought it might be worth a shot!

Also a thought from a conversation I've been having privately: It might be worth your time to see if you can track down some B&Ms across the country that don't list their stock online.

18. Monkeyshine

Monkeyshine Active Member

I love Tilbury and I have smoked a couple pounds of Stonehaven. Not the same animal, in my opinion.

FlatbushPaul likes this.
  19. FlatbushPaul

Wow, OT! Exceed! I'm comin' ta visit! Lol.

Paul

20. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

Examples would be?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.