1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Storage Jar Size

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Tony Malerich, Aug 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tony Malerich

Tony Malerich Sales Account

From other conversations, I get the impression than 4 and sometimes 8 oz mason jars are most commonly used for cellaring. Wide mouth quart jars are only a few dollars more though for considerably more volume. Especially if the intent is cellaring, could anybody think of a reason not to use a larger jar? I can fit 4 oz of flake in a 4 oz jar with room to spare, so I could probably get 1 to 1.25 lbs in a quart jar. A few years down the road when I want to smoke it then I could divide into smaller jars.

Can anybody think of a reason not to do this? It might even save a little weight in glass, but that's not a major concern.

2. ShawnP

ShawnP Member

I use bigger jars, mine hold roughly 10oz in my jars. I think it really depends on how many jars you want.

Shawn

3. Buckshot

Buckshot Member

I use 8 oz. Ball jars simply because there isn't enough room for quart size jars between the shelf I store them on and the shelf above it. The quart size jars are too tall.

If you will have to transfer the toby over to smaller jars later, why not just start out with small jars?

Old Codger likes this.
  4. Tony Malerich

Mostly I'm thinking cost of jars. Quarts are, say, 30% more cost for 100% more volume. Then I'd only need the smaller jars for the bits that are being currently smoked.

5. phinz

phinz Active Member

I use quart jars for pounds. A pound fits. Barely. And if it's cake, kake, plug or flake, a pound doesn't fit.

I will use a 4 oz jar as a ram for shoving tobacco into the quart jars to maximize space. It turns it almost into kake on my moister tobaccos.

Monkey and Albert like this.
  6. Buckshot

Buckshot Member

OK, now I see what you're getting at and it makes perfect sense.

7. Old Codger

Old Codger Well-Known Member

I use the quart jars for long term +5 years if there's enough tobacco to fill the jar. 8oz for everything 1 -5 years and the smaller jars for current use. Current use is anything less than a year. Cost of jars is maybe a little different relative to cost of tobacco since I paid 200.00 a pound up until I started buying some from across the border. a 50gm tin of Frogmorton on the Bayou sets me back 70.00 here so a 3.00 jar isn't significant.

ruralhipster likes this.
  8. Monkey

Monkey Active Member

Wide mouth quart jars for bulk (bought in pounds). I have a few smaller wide mouth jars for what I am smoking now...and a few small jars for samples or the rare tin that may be opened.

9. Tony Malerich

Thanks everyone. You've pretty much confirmed what I thought to be a decent idea.

10. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

Wide mouth pint jars for everything for me. I can smoke down a pint of tobacco without getting the feeling, "I need to hurry and get all this smoked". If I opened a quart, it would be awhile before I could get it all smoked. I have many blends. If I stayed with one or two blends I could see using quart jars because I'd be in that quart jar every day. Since I smoke so many different blends it makes sense for me to cellar with pint jars.

I guess it would depend on how often you're going to get in a quart jar. If you're smoking 2 or 3 blends then a quart jar might be the way for you to go.

Be well.
    Ol Brokedik.

Old Codger and SouthBound like this.
  11. cakeanddottle

cakeanddottle Member

16 oz for long term, 8 oz for smoking from, 4 oz for nasal snuff

12. SouthBound

SouthBound Active Member

I'm just as finicky, OBD. I keep at least 12 to 14 blends in the "Now Smoking" section. So, it's 16oz jars for long term, 8oz for small bulk orders and 100g open tins, and 4oz jars that I keep all of the stuff that I'm smoking right now. When I smoke up a 4oz jar, I run it through the dishwasher and fill it with something new.

The exceptions are Bob's Square Cut, Kendal Flake, Dark Flake unscented, Louisiana Flake, and Ennerdale. I keep them in 8oz jars that never need washing. They just get refilled and put back in the smoking cabinet.

Ol Brokedik likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.