Storage Temperature

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Traderbob, May 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Traderbob

Traderbob Member

My smoking station is my shop (not air conditioned). It's been okay through the winter, but now it's 85 degrees in my shop. I have about a dozen open tins (all with moisture tabs inside) and about a dozen unopened tins. I would like to keep everything here in the shop but am afraid I need to move my stash to the indoors for the summer.

I thought about getting a small refrigerator for the shop and set the temp as high as it would go for tobacco storage.

Any suggestions?

2. Yooperpipesmoker

Yooperpipesmoker Member

well IMHO i'd say take the monet spent toward the fridge and buy a small 1 room air conditioner from wally world. That way when ur enjoying a nice pipe, u as well as ur stash will be nice and cool. However if u happen to already have the fridge, id say it would work wonderfully.

Matt.

3. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

my recommendation is to buy a window unit. i've worked in shops without AC and i've noticed people get careless when they're really effing hot, people get injured cause of sweat making things slippery, careless because they just want to get **** done.

would that work as an excuse? i'm not sure if you can justify buying it just for the tobacco, but that smoke i just blew ya could sound pretty good pitched to a wife, right?

4. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

I'm curious to learn more about tobacco storage and temperature myself. I just moved my supply from the frige to a smoking stand. It'll have to go back in the frige if storing it at 80 or higher is bad.

That 80+ degrees is with my window A/C going full out on a hot day.

Bri2k

5. Marc

Marc Active Member

As long as your tobacco is not in direct sunlight it should be fine.

6. Brian

Brian Member

Definitely store your tobacco at temperatures lower than about 400 degree F. At that point it starts to combust :startle:

7. CarlBC

CarlBC Member

My tobacco storage is in my metalsmithing studio in the basement. That space maintains an average temperature of ~62 degrees. The humidity is also controlled to 65-70% with our dehumidifier.

8. Traderbob

Traderbob Member

Thanks for the comments - I think the room A/C is going to be a "must have". I just came in from working in the yard and it's 93 degrees outside.

9. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

i think that makes at least 5 artisan metalworkers on here now. its official, pipesmoking makes you better at life.

10. CarlBC

CarlBC Member

:thumbsu:
    Funny thing is, I moved to Wisconsin to make swords! Not my typical bailiwick, as I'm a goldsmith/silversmith, but it was an interesting occupation. I plan on doing band-work on a few of my fixer-upper pipes I have squirreled away.

11. outbackblackjack

outbackblackjack New Member

I agree with Matt get a window mounted air conditioner from wally world.

12. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

you working for the guys up at albion??? that would be freaking funny... gotta ask, you on don foggs forum?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.