1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Storing bulk tobacco

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by ocipio, Aug 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ocipio

ocipio Member

Oct 27, 2009
    I am looking at ordering 16oz each of two of my favorite tobaccos.

Is storing these in a mason jar .. about half to 3/4 full .. in my basement (dark and constant 55F) the proper way to store this? Should I add any type of humidifier to the jars? (I have seen this little black plastic things that you soak for 60 seconds, then place in your jar to keep proper humidity for a week before needing a resoak)..

2. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Mason jars do a much better job of keeping humidity in than any tin or tobacco jar. You shouldn't need to worry about keeping a humidisk in there unless you get into the jar a lot. By the way, do they still sell the black plastic discs? If so, where? I have a couple that I bought many years ago, and I like them better than the common aluminum ones, which tend to corrode.
  3. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Canning jars work great for keeping tobacco moist. I have a little over 3/4 of a pound of a bulk English blend I got for Christmas in 09, and it's only getting better if anything.

Hey Herb, the discs are available at a B&M I favor, and I think also the Tinderbox I visit, but I don't recall if I've seen them online. I don't recall ever seeing something like an aluminum one.
  4. 1stGenRex

1stGenRex Member

Jun 26, 2011
    I use these for the tins that I have open that need a bit of moisture. They work rather well. I store in canning jars as well, but the stuff I know I want to smoke I keep in a tin. If it starts getting a bit dry, I throw one of these in there. They're about the size of a wet-nap

5. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Feb 7, 2011
    Last night I dipped into a mason jar full of Ashton Old London Pebblecut that I for some reason stored in a jar instead of leaving it in the tins. This is from the days when Robert McConnell blended Ashtons. The tobacco was about 18 years old, and absolutely amazing.

Mason jars should keep your tobacco fresh for several decades... a bit less for latakia blends. Sometimes latakia "dumbs down" in a jar after 20 or so years.
  6. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2010
    I just did my first tobacco jarring earlier this year. I took tips from several PSFers and combined what sounded good to me. For one, I put a 32 oz wide mouth jar in the dishwasher w/the wife's other stuff. As soon as the dishwasher beeped completion, I yanked out the jar, quickly towel dried it, and stuffed it full of 1 lb of Hamborger Veermaster.

The jar was hot, but the tobacco didn't get heated, and the vacuum seal is great. The jar was cool within 20-30 minutes and the button on the top was depressed, telling me it is sealed tight!

I did the same with some 16 oz wide mouth jars of stuff I knew I wasn't going to open for a while. I've gotten so deep into tobacco canning that I've put everything but a few tins in jars. Even stuff I dip into now and then. The stuff I am currently smoking, I keep in baby food jars; They hold more than you would think!

Once you get into canning toby, next you'll get the itch to slap labels on them. Watch out... labeling toby can get a little ODD addictive... :rolleyes:

These are 32 oz wide mouth w/1 lb of HV, 16 oz wide mouth w/4 tins of HV & tall babyfood jar w/left over trimmings:
  7. Michael Croson

Michael Croson Member

Aug 14, 2011
    I ordered some Mac Baren Syrian in the 16 oz flip top jar. I have older similar jar for cigars it worked ok.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.