1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Storing Mac Baren Tobacco

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Badcompany, Aug 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Badcompany

Badcompany Member

Hello Forum,
    Does anyone know if Mac Baren Vanilla Cream and Mixture store well, 2yrs plus.I like these tobacco's and want to start a store cupboard / cellar.Or Is there a list on the forum with info on tobacco's that store well.
    Badcompany.

2. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

GL Pease wrote an interesting article on storage. In a nutshell, aromatics do tend to store the least favorably. The actual toby itself doesn't really go bad but the casing and toppings do degrade over time. Thus the flavors & aromas that attracted you to the aro changes quicker than the tobacco itself. Storing it in jars or keeping it tinned (sealed) helps but they don't age as well as Va's or Orientals. It can't hurt to jar it up, it'll keep better jar'd than left in an unsealed tin.

:startle:
    Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

3. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

MB Mixture stores fine . It's by chance that it's the only blend I've ever cellered for any real time . Had a bunch put up for 7 years and it aged great . Smoothed out and got alittle deeper in flavor . Go for it :startle:

4. Badcompany

Badcompany Member

So it sounds like rule of thumb, when storing, all aromatics should be kept in there tin, everything else can be store in Mason jars. Is that correct.
    Badcompany.

5. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Depends on how long it takes you to get through the opened tin and your environmental conditions.

IMO, I'd jar it up anyway, empty the tin. It'll keep better in the jar than in an opened tin. Unless you drill through an opened tin is a week or two, then leave it in the tin by all means! But if it's gonna take you more like 2 months to empty it, then I'd jar it.

:velho:
    Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.