Storing Tobacco

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by ronbruce61, Nov 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronbruce61

ronbruce61 Member

I see a bunch of you talk about cellaring????What exactly do you mean?

I have some room left in my cigar humidors.Would it be ok to store opened/unopened/bulk tobacco in here???Or should I dedicate one of my humidors to strictly pipe tobacco?The humidors run about 60-65% humidity.

Some of you store in jars.What keeps your tobacco from drying out.I know with cigars once all the oils have dried out of the tobacco it's futile to try and revive it.Is there a major difference between cigar and pipe tobacco that I am unaware of??

Any help with this tobacco conundrum is greatly appreciated.

Ron

2. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

I would not recommend storing pipe tobacco in a humidor.

Mason jars (i.e., Ball) work very well for long-term storage (aka Cellaring). Hand-tighten firmly but not too much or you'll mess up the seal. And if/when you open them, you will disrupt any "aging effect" and reset the clock. Finally, make sure there is no tobacco on the rim of the jar or in the seal of the lid when you close them- that'll ruin your baccy and your lid.

Oh, one more thing. Don't drop the lids on the floor when you open them. They bend easily and then won't seal right again.

LifeOfRiley likes this.
  3. dbt13

dbt13 Sales Account

The humidity would be too high to store in a humidor and would risk rusting the tins. If your tins are unopened you can store them just about anywhere that is dry, not to hot and out of direct sunlight.

Mason jars that are air tight you can store your baccy in them just like an unopened tin.

4. LifeOfRiley

LifeOfRiley Active Member

If you're buying a lot of bulk (or have a lot of open tins at once), then mason jars will more than pay for themselves due to the tobacco you won't throw out. And, you'll never have to worry about re-hydrating (opinions vary on this).

5. ronbruce61

ronbruce61 Member

So no humidification device whatsoever is needed???

Who woulda thunk

6. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

Haha, I'm an ex-cigar smoker too, and thought the same way. I was considering turning a cabinet in my office into a huge humidor to store pipe tobacco (when I first started out), but found out a mason jar does everything you need. When you store pipe tobacco in a well sealed jar, it retains it's moisture for a really long time (years- decades? ).

7. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

My "cellar" is composed of unopened tins. Pipe tobacco, especially non aromatic, will keep almost indefinitely as long as the tins are sealed. In fact, some 20, 30 and 40 year old sealed tins of discontinued tobacco sell for astronomical prices. Although I can't say first hand, I have read that aging most blends of tobacco mellows and improves them.

8. ronbruce61

ronbruce61 Member

Ok how do you "CELLAR" unopened tins???Just put them in a cool dark place???

Ron

9. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

I put them in a conditioned space. The tins are opaque so I don't have to bother about the storage place being dark.

I should add that my stash is extremely modest compared to some of the other guy's cellar here on this forum. Some of them have more tobacco than my local pipe & cigar shop.

10. DeusExMachina

DeusExMachina Member

Yep. If you're worried about te integrity of the tin, you can always just jar it up immediately. I've also heard of people vacuum sealing unopened tins, just in case. I guess it comes down to exactly how long you're going to store these items.

As long as you can't smell the tobacco, and the seal looks good, you can just put her up and forget it .

11. ronbruce61

ronbruce61 Member

OK so this is nothing like cigar storage.......I have a lot to learn.Thanks Brothers

Ron

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.