1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Straight or Bent?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by CupofEarlGrey, Dec 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CupofEarlGrey

CupofEarlGrey Member

Hello there fellow pipe smokers. I've noticed quite a few people discussing whether they prefer a straight stem or a bent. I was hoping to get your opinions on it. Quite personally, I prefer a bent, I don't know why, I just like the way it looks.

2. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

I can only say for me it seems to depend on the mood I'm in - all of my Falcons are straights, most of my corncobs are bents as are most of my briars and meers.

I know the argument about bents being easier if you want to work with both hands or if you are a clencher, which I'm not, but it really does seem to me that some pipes just look better in bent shapes and others are more suited to being straights.

I'm sure others will have more logical thoughts on this one!

Happy smoking whatever,

Gerry

3. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

I like questions like these where there's no right or wrong answer. Personally, I prefer straigts, especially skinny billiards with smaller bowls. However, an incredibly generous Scotsman recently sent me a couple of cobs, one of which is bent and made for a very enjoyable smoke and helped me see the merits of a bent pipe.

4. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

5. Boomer-Z

Boomer-Z Member

Hello,

I have one straight pipe and I rarely use it. It is a great smoker but the balance seems off. All my other pipes are bent. I find them more comfortable. Most of my pipes are large, not sure I could clench them if they weren't bent. As Br2k stated there is not right answer. It is what you prefer.

Z

6. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Bent!

Pipe juice = yuck.

7. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

Everything I have it slight bent to full bent. Not that I wouldn't try a straight pipe; just never found "the right one" yet.

8. jhe888

jhe888 Member

I like both. Bents are in some ways easier in the hand, but I love the look of a long Canadian or traditional English billiard.

It is really just preference.

9. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

Bents allow you to enlist the help of gravity in the quest to avoid tar-soaked condensation in your mouth. Out of my 25-ish pipes, only one is straight-- and I never smoke it.

10. Richie

Richie Member

Bent if driving or working in the shop (line of sight thing). Straight when kicked back.

11. StevenEC

StevenEC Member

Most of my pipes are straight. They are easier to clean and seem to have a much better chance of being great smokers. The drilling has a much better chance of being perfect, and they smoke dryer then bents. Straight pipes aren't hard to clench for me as long as its under 2 ounces. Especially when buying online I go with straights, I figure there is less chance I will have to send the pipe back because of drilling being off center.

12. Strongirish

Strongirish Member

I like them both and my large collection is about 50/50. It just depends on my mood at the time.

13. Charring Light

Charring Light Member

I like and have both straight and bent pipes, but I do have a tendency for Canadian.

14. sorringowl

sorringowl Purveyor of PAAD

Have you tried pipe juice with whiskey, Sas?

15. Grammaton

Grammaton Member

I kind of like the juice - at least from a VA blend. I wouldn't want to collect it for later, but when I sling the moisture out there's a little left on the mouthpiece and only one blend made me want to stop slinging my pipe. I can't remember which blend it was, but I think it was an aromatic.

16. Whalehead King

Whalehead King Balaenius Rex!!

A topic always worth revisiting for debate. I own mostly straights and I rarely reach for the bents. The quarter bent I have gets more service than the full bent. As for the gravity argument and a bent being best for hands-free smoking; I don't find that the case. I find a straight much easier to clench while the bent bears down.

A straight is also a better conversation accent. When you point it and jab the air it looks like you mean it. Point a bent and it's not quite as....virile. It's all up to preference in the end. Maybe you can win an argument on the argument alone without resorting to straight stem theatrics. I prefer the abrupt downward pipe stab at an imaginary enemy to cut foolish talk to an end.

As long as what's in the bowl is good...

Cheers,
    WK

17. pottsy

pottsy Member

I'm 50/50 on the scale. I find I like a lot of the straight pipes, but then I find I like a lot of the bents, and for different reasons. The straights I have tend to be shorter smokes. The bents are longer smokes, and I like the way it sits in my hand.

18. SittinNMyChairSmokin

SittinNMyChairSmokin Member

AS - BENT - AS - POSSIBLE!

19. Jay

Jay Active Member

I prefer the bents, they just hang better. But I do like a straight pipe on occasion. only three of my dozen or so regular pipes are straight, a pot, bulldog and billiard. Also a rather unique pipe is almost straight and hardly hangs because of its size and weight. But man I hate the juice that an unattended to straight can deliver on occasion. My fault though, not the pipes.

Smoke 'em if you got 'em

J

20. bandlwalmer

bandlwalmer Member

Bents for me too! Easier to clench and more comfortable!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.