Straight Turkish

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Stoked, May 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stoked

Stoked Member

[font="'Trebuchet MS"]Years back I found a pouch of 100% Turkish pipe tobacco at a local cigar shop. The shop has since closed. I really enjoyed the taste of this tobaccy and found it blended really well with Virginias.[/font]
    [font="'Trebuchet MS"]
    [/font]
    [font="'Trebuchet MS"]What are your thoughts on smoking Turkish straight, and what success, if any, have you had blending it?[/font]
    [font="'Trebuchet MS"]
    [/font]
    [font="'Trebuchet MS"]Also if you know of a good on-line source for straight Turkish, that information would be much appreciated. As always, thanks.[/font]

2. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Never had it straight, but campanile is just packed with Turkish.

3. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

Take a look here -> http://www.pipeshowonline.net/index.php?pr=McClelland_Blending

I know that IRC has it on stock -> http://www.iwanries.com/oriental_P1063C401.cfm

4. Stoked

Stoked Member

Thanks for the replies. I am really a squirrel, and was surprised when I couldn't locate the old pouch. I looked deeper, and found it. It is "Tekel" Turkish Tobacco and after googling it, I found that it used to be sold on Mars, but no longer.

Locating/obtaining it is becoming somewhat of an obsession. I remember it having similarities of golden Virginia and was great for blending.

Dondi, you made my day with those links! Thanks!

5. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi,

I think McClellands does a Turkish blending tobacco as well as other types - check out 4Noggins Inventory - was a big fan of the Sobranie Blends in my younger days so I can't see why it shouldn't make a nice smoke,

Best to all

Gerry

6. Stoked

Stoked Member

I found the original pouched Turkish reviewed here

http://www.tobaccore...LPHA=T&TID=3445

Still can't find this for sale anywhere on the net, but at least I have the Greek/Turkish blend to fall back on.

Thanks for all the suggestions, it really helps!

After reading the reviews, I think many here may be looking for it...

7. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

And thank YOU for introducing Turk Pipo Tutunu to the forum! You're right, I'm sure many will be looking for this blend after reading those glowing reviews on TR!

8. Zenigata

Zenigata Member

here is a crazy thought; pipesandcigars H&H they offer to blend your own blend. Maybe see what they could do for you on it? It is always worth a try if nothing else. :)

9. CarlBC

CarlBC Member

Tekel is/was one of the larger Turkish tobacco companies. Both the Tekel Oval cigarettes and one of their pipe tobaccos were of 100% Yenidje leaf.

Cheers!
    -- Carl

10. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

I used to smoke Turkish Ovals (along with Three Castels and Players Navy Cut) occaisonally 20-odd years ago. They were a mighty fine cigarette.

Thank you for mentioning them Carl. I hadn't thought about them in years. Fond memories.

Bri2k

11. CarlBC

CarlBC Member

My pleasure! Yenidje is one of my all-time favorite tobaccos. I mourn its rarity these days, along with Dubek and Xanthi.

12. Stoked

Stoked Member

Update: I just contacted a gentleman through Facebook who has reviewed the Tekel TPT for his blog as well as TR. I inquired if he knew where I could find this fine tobacco anywhere. He reiterated that it's even hard to get in Turkey because the production is limited and it sells very well. But he did offer to bring back a pouch or two to the US the next time he visits Turkey, which will be fairly soon. He buys direct from the manufacturer.

I suggested that he tell the manufacturer that there is money to be made in the United States so please consider exporting again here.

I also invited him to join Pipe Smokers Forum and gave him the link to this thread. He would be a wonderful addition to our nice community that we have here.

Cheers! [​IMG]

Edit: I like your "crazy thought" Zenigata. Thanks for that great suggestion!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.