Strange Ritual

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by Stonewall, Jan 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

I suppose we all our little idiosyncrasies or methodology when it comes to pipe smoking. So something I've found myself doing consistently lately is loading a pipe with a certain blend without drying or altering the moisture level as I normally did in the past, which was to dry out my rationed amount in a small bowl for a half hour to an hour prior to packing my bowl.

Ive found that if I load a pipe with a selected blend, place it on a folding stand, and let it dry in the pipe for as long as 24 - 48 hours prior to smoking. For example, if I want to smoke a bowl of Reiner LGF, I'll actually load up a pipe with it for the following day. Strange I know; but it seems to work for me, providing me with the perfect moisture levels at lighting. And since the tobacco has dried in the bowl, I don't find it breaking up or down if you will, to a consistency that gives me grief when trying to pack it properly.

I discovered this by accident actually when I packed a cob with STM and placed it atop the fridge on a folding pipe stand because it was too moist when I packed it initially. I forgot about it for a day and a half when I finally remembered it, I thought it would be too dry at that point and almost dumped it. But I didnt want to waste good tobacco so I decided to try and smoke it. Well I was amazed that it smoked like a dream. My best experience with STM ever. Perfect moisture level, perfect smoke.

Naturally I thought it was just a lucky fluke and thought I try it again with some of my soggy blends. It has worked like a charm each and every time giving me an absolutely fantastic smoking experience.

So I wonder, have any of you discovered any bizarre, strange, or just out of the ordinary ways and means whilst smoking the pipe...

Cheers!

Labman and Kiowapipe like this.
  2. MikeInMaine

MikeInMaine Well-Known Member

I do the same thing sometimes with moist flakes. I have had up to three pipes packed on the rack at a time when I have a couple of days off in a row. It works great up to a couple of days sitting. I like to just grab a full pipe and light up.

3. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

I do the same with some twists and plugs, otherwise the amount of relighting is tiresome - but most of the flakes I smoke, are just rubbed-out and not packed too tightly.....I find with a lot of blends - too dry takes away flavour, and reduces the duration of a bowl.
    OT

4. Albert

Albert Active Member

This is the Secret to 1792 flake for sure.

Raffxr7 and Mington like this.
  5. N3M0

N3M0 Active Member

Hmm, seems like I need to try out this approach sometime

6. Raffxr7

Raffxr7 Active Member

I have to disagree with the strange part-if it works, great! I gave 1792 a try, and it quickly bit... so I left the remainder (98 percent of a flake) in the bowl to dry out for a day. It's a great ¨magic¨ trick!

Albert likes this.
  7. Albert

Albert Active Member

you got it. Whenever I smoke 1792, I load a bowl, do the charring light. leave bowl until the next night. pure bliss.....tomorrow

8. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

Works great for Stonehaven too!

Raffxr7 likes this.
  9. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

In a perfect world , all pipe tobacco would be ready out of the tin or pouch . The world aint perfect , so whatever floats yer boat is good ! Weird would be if you fed it to your dog and then followed him around to collect it later ... to smoke . Ok , thats more than weird , thats disturbing .. but ya catch my drift

10. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

Point taken! So perhaps a liitle unorthodox, but not entirely strange. Anyone else have any tricks of the trade?

11. craig

craig Active Member

if i have something that is overly moist, i load a bowl, then take it out and level it out on a piece of kitchen roll, then put it on another piece on top leav eit for an hour or so and works perfect for me

12. upinsmoke

upinsmoke Member

I put the opened cans on top of the cable box. Just a little heat from below reduces excess water easily. When the tobacco is too wet, is it to increase the weight? Probably.

13. Labman

Labman Member

Interesting! I'm fairly new to pipe smoking (having only dabbled the last few years), and I've never tried packing a bowl and leaving it. Next time I have an overly moist baccy, I'm going to give this technique a go. Thanks for sharing!

14. Johnny

Johnny Member

A lot of the time I will load a bowl with cube cut Virginia, smoke it for ten or fifteen minutes then light it the next night after work to smoke the rest. Seems to deepen the flavor.

15. fogpipe

fogpipe Member

I used to do that with flakes sometimes or just dry them out after rubbing. Most of the flakes i used to smoke quite a bit of i would dry almost crispy and gravity pack with a little tap. These day i smoke mostly CD burleys and they usually arrive within an acceptable moisture range. Tho if a tobacco is more moist i think i tend to pack a little lighter.

16. craig

craig Active Member

Once i break in a falcon bowl i will pack the bowl with the tobacco its meant for and the put it in the jar for a couple of days it seems to take on a little extra flavour and helps it with the first new smoke

17. taharris

taharris Sales Account

For flakes that are too moist I microwave for 8-10 seconds.

The tobacco gets all steamy and ends up at the perfect moisture level.

And the best part is that I don't have to plan my smokes 24-48 hours in advance! :bing:

Todd

Labman likes this.
  18. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

Tobacco was not intended to be microwaved....

MikeInMaine likes this.
  19. upinsmoke

upinsmoke Member

Does the microwave change the taste at all?

20. N3M0

N3M0 Active Member

I've heard of plenty of people who nuke their tobby to accelerate the drying process, or even leaving it on top of a lamp for a few minutes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.